PC market going to be hit with massive price cuts soonish?

Glenifir

Reputable
Aug 24, 2014
Having a look over the price trends on PCpartPicker here: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/trends/price/internal-hard-drive/ and it seems that prices have been pretty stagnant overall for a while. Rams gone up a bit in places, storage has very slightly gone down, some price drops a while back for GPUs and CPUs. The Nvidia 900 series is coming out sometime in the next 6 months probably and the new Intel Broadwell CPUs are coming out in the same sorta time frame.

When this happens will we see big price cuts in current hardware? lets take my new MSi 780 for example, I just got it for £340, expensive and not exactly the most cost effective... here is a link to it's price trend: option.http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/trends/price/video-card/#gpu.chipset.geforce-gtx-780 we can see that it started out about £400, had a big price cut in November 2013 and has stayed about £320-360 since. That's a decent amount shaved off the price but it's not exactly amazing for a GPU that's now a year and a half old IMHO.

It just seems strange to me to have a big price drop so soon into it's release, 5 months, then to have basically nothing for a whole year. Have I just played the sucker and bought my 780 on the precipice of a huge price drop or do you people think It's all good.

I understand PC prices are always dropping, I was just shocked to see how stagnant the prices have been for the past year. Maybe it's because the only market I'm really used to is gaming markets where new items have massive prices changes and this gaming market doesn't reflect reality lol.

not typically. normally its a slow decline.

look at the prices for older i7 models.. while they have dropped in price its not by a huge margin. the same is true with video cards.

when the new 8xx cards come out we might see some dropping in the 7xx card prices however nothing any worse then the jump from 6xx to 7xx was.

the best prices are typically around holidays when products are on sale. in the usa that is around christsmas and black friday, not sure about the uk.

i just bought myself a gtx770 for $280 (172gbp) which was $100 (61gbp) off the msrp which was a fairly good deal. i'm not worried about beating that price since it will not drop that low for at least a year or two