Should I go with a 1440p or 1080p monitor for duel gtx 770s?

1440p or 1080p?

• 1440p

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • 1080p

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Elhaupto

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014
I currently have a single gtx 770 card and am looking to purchase another for my gaming rig. With both of those cards at my disposal I'm beginning to think that it's time to upgrade my monitor to complement the boost in GPU power.

I know that 4k is off the table so I'm wondering if perhaps 1440p would be an option. I would like to be able to run almost anything I buy on ultra with 60+ FPS for a few years, and I would happily just stick with a 1080p monitor if 1440p will only run things on medium after a few months.

So which one do you should I go with? What are the pros and cons of each? Thanks.

terroralpha

Distinguished
1440p, not question about it. at 1080p you will just be wasting all the graphic card power. i used to run a single GTX 780 on a 1440p monitor and it ran most of my games nearly maxed out, including a decent amount of AA.

if you are going to get two studs you need to give them both enough room to gallop :)

Elhaupto

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014

Will it be future proof?

terroralpha

Distinguished
in short, no.

gaming is headed towards 4K displays. by this time next year they should be affordable and cost what 1600p monitors cost now. but, with those graphic cards you will not be able to game at 4K. so if you do decide to go 4K, those graphic cards will have to go unless you are willing to settle for high res and zero detail gaming.

having said that, i game on a 27" 1440p monitor and have seen a very expensive 30" 4k monitor on display at an NYC store called B&H. and to be honest, it didn't seen any better. 30" is probably too small to see the benefits of 4K unless you got your face 2" away form the monitor.

Elhaupto

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014

By future proof I meant prepared for essentially any game that'll come out in the moderately distant future. I don't need or want 4k, and by the time it becomes the standard I'll be upgrading stuff to go along with it. Will I be able to play a hypothetical Far Cry 5 in late 2017 on a 1440p monitor? That's the kind of future I want this tackle with these cards.

terroralpha

Distinguished
hard to tell. by that time windows 9 (or maybe even windows 10) and a new version of direct X will be out. now even the developers will be able to tell you for certain, especially going 3 years into the future. the new game may not even use direct X. it might be a mantle exclusive. like i said, no one knows these things.

not even my 2x GTX 780 will future proof me for the next 3 years. sure i'll be able to game at 1440p and you will too, but it is absolutely impossible to tell how much we will be able to crank up the detail settings