GTX 780 6GB or GTX 780Ti 3GB

DK96

Reputable
Aug 19, 2014
Don't know which one to get. Will go triple monitors in future. 4k? No. Going to play games like Watch Dogs on max settings.. Which one would perform better? Also which one has the better energy consumption?
Thanks

Solution
Given you are wanting to go triple monitors I would say the GTX 780 with 6GB RAM.

Another post just made me think about this, I monitor vRAM usage in games constantly. With Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, Shogun II Total War, and other games I play, the highest vRAM usage I have ever had is 1800MB with max settings at 1080p.

Triple monitors will cut into this, and probably by next year games will need 3GB or more vRAM, and the triple monitors increases this all the more. I think you are best to get the vRAM. The lack of vRAM in those later games could create a bottleneck before you manage to max the 780ti out.
Given you are wanting to go triple monitors I would say the GTX 780 with 6GB RAM.

Another post just made me think about this, I monitor vRAM usage in games constantly. With Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, Shogun II Total War, and other games I play, the highest vRAM usage I have ever had is 1800MB with max settings at 1080p.

Triple monitors will cut into this, and probably by next year games will need 3GB or more vRAM, and the triple monitors increases this all the more. I think you are best to get the vRAM. The lack of vRAM in those later games could create a bottleneck before you manage to max the 780ti out.

Solution

DK96

Reputable
Aug 19, 2014

Is there a link that proves this? But wouldn't 6GB of VRAM be better for triple screen?

DK96

Reputable
Aug 19, 2014

Thankyou very much for this information

What happened to the 800s?

Also it might be worth waiting for that. 3GB seems to little, 4GB probably sufficient even with 3 monitors.

There is already a mobile 800 series, so they are skipping directly to the 900 series to avoid confusion.

There is no way anyone should be making a high-end video card purchase a mere week and a half away from the debut of the next generation. Maxwell should prove to provide higher performance, lower power consumption, and lower prices for unbeatable price-performance. Current generation cards should also see a price drop at that time as well. So wait it out already!

Sort of like how they did with the 200 and 300 series right? Idk seems like they should name them the same or come up with a completely different numbering system or something. Owell.

That is true, even if you don't buy a Maxwell GPU, prices should drop on others so you would benefit by waiting.

Eisie

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
Don't let anyone tell you "games don't use 3gb of Vram" as that's complete crap. I'm running 1 single monitor at 1080p and play BF4 on ultra everything settings and constantly use 4gb of Vram (which i closely monitor). However, the 780TI Vram is FASTER then the 780-6gb even though it has less. Benchmarks will still show the 780TI to be the "Better" video card, but i think for the price, its a bit overkill. I would go with (and did) the 780-6gb, esp if you plan on using multi-monitors or gaming resolutions higher then 1080p.