Almost three year old DDR3 in new build?

NerevarReborn

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
So, I will probably be updating my rig a bit soon, with a new PSU, mobo and CPU. But I started thinking about where my old memory sticks stand today... I'm using almost 3 year old Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz CL9 sticks (4x4GB). What have happened on the memory front since? Are those sticks gonna bottleneck a new system? If I do want to overclock a bit (I usually end up doing it), would I need some higher speed sticks to get any good overall performance? I'm fairly certain the memory timings haven't gone down lately at least, if anything the opposite?

Going to get a Z97 system, with a 4690k most likely. And perhaps an M.2 SSD. Was thinking about waiting for next generation Intel CPUs, but my old Lynnfield i5 is getting tired. And mid 2015 seems far away.

byza

Honorable
The RAM should be fine. I don't think i'd bother with M.2 ssd's just yet. Still very very expensive. The cheapest i've seen is still about $1 per GB.

NerevarReborn

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
Ty for answers! Good news that is. And was getting the impression about the M.2 SSDs as well that it's a bit too early yet. Not only expensive, but some issues, like legacy OS support on those new onboard controllers etc.

So will probably leave that for now, and see when it seems more reasonable.