What are my options? Busted Acer monitor no warranty i cant pay to fix it.....

themadhatta

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Too Long Didnt Read aka TLDR/summary at the bottom....

Hope the title didnt sound to trolly or w/e, but i was curious what my options are since i barely know much about screens compared to building desktops etc. I purchased 3 acer GD2345hz monitors waaay back in 2012 i think maybe early 2013. One of the monitors had some issues where it was like it had dead pixels but in the form of lines on half the screen or portions of the screen. I can still view stuff however so really all it does is change the color of whats behind these vertical lines.
I sent in this monitor due to the problems got it back from acer relatively quickly, but i just found out my warranty expired about a couple weeks ago and i just got my PC back together running this monitor.
I love running games in nvidias surround mode and i wanted to eventually be able to run surround 3d whenever that day comes. Anyways since i checked acers site and they say its like $249 to fix or $199 if its a notebook... which doesnt make a lot of sense i was using my ssid and everything to get to that part on their site. So basically i would be paying this entire monitors worth to fix it.
I cant find any other ones for sale especially at a cheaper rate. So are there any monitors that would be compatible with my other 2 perfectly working gd235hz acer monitors?
Nvidia says u need 3 monitors of the same model to have surround working and i cant remember ever trying it without 3 of the same monitor.

TLDR:
So im just trying to figure out, are my options, fix it, buy 3 new monitors, magically find an unused one for cheaper, and thats it? Or do i have the option of using another monitor for surround gaming? If so which monitors are compatible at 120hz or even 60 hz to get me by for now. Are there any 3d ready versions?

Heres a link to where i got mine originally just in case :p
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035KC3R0/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Solution
Madhatta, I am also going through the same problem. One of the monitors has those same symptoms. The answer to your querstion is that you must have the exact 3 monitors in order for surround to work both 2d and 3d and they all have to run on the same refresh rate. I have been down that path already and it was very painful. I am running 3d surround at it is awesome. If you would like to sell one or both of the working monitors I would like to offer you a price for them. That way you could get a better set of monitors. I just cant believe that I cant find even a used one out there. Good luck to you sir and let me know if you are interested in getting rid of the working monitors.

Bikeboy4577

Reputable
Sep 15, 2014
Madhatta, I am also going through the same problem. One of the monitors has those same symptoms. The answer to your querstion is that you must have the exact 3 monitors in order for surround to work both 2d and 3d and they all have to run on the same refresh rate. I have been down that path already and it was very painful. I am running 3d surround at it is awesome. If you would like to sell one or both of the working monitors I would like to offer you a price for them. That way you could get a better set of monitors. I just cant believe that I cant find even a used one out there. Good luck to you sir and let me know if you are interested in getting rid of the working monitors.

Solution

themadhatta

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
well sadly im broke and just happened to notice the lines just kinda vanished from regular use but ive been rebuilding my PC so it can handle streaming better

since ive been entirely self taught and was just explained to that my old rampage iv mobo with a 2nd gen i7 3960x even tho it was supposed to be the first 3rd gen i7
i read on a reputable site there was never support from intel or something of that manner basically limiting to not technically match up compared to any other ivy bridge cpus out there, ive been up all night but it was between that and an i5 3570k
and i guess at some point when rebuilding my setups i missed the fact that the latest mobo i got which i got for a quarter the price it was worth thanks to newegg and an open box deal, so i thought that i5 and the mobo being my fave reliable go to sabertooths but a z77 sabertooth from asus would be the better option...

then i realized i missed the fact that even tho its not a huge deal i cant run sli with both cards at x16 on the z77 nor is the memory quad channel like the rampage IV from asus. combine that and what my friend explained to me about my i7 being waaay better i opted to go back to this evil mobo that has been so problematic (the rampage) just so i can stretch my gaming out while streaming
the cpu being better for the streaming, and the ram plus video cards allowing me to run my crazy multitasking and gaming stuff better i hope...

just praying the build works out without a hiccup, using dual gtx590s on the z77 setup in a new amazing case (nzxt s340) and didnt run into any problems whatsoever at anypoint in the entire rebuild so im hoping i have that luck with my dual 780 ti rampage build

i would honestly sell u these monitors if i could muster up the money and try going for a 3 monitor 4k res setup or maybe look into gsync supported monitors but considering i know i cant afford it im not gonna bother doing the homework to find out what options there are lol

i was amazed to see a setup similar to my dual 780s on the rampage on a z77 sabertooth board but with a better cpu running 3 4k res monitors on a ton of games with mid-hgih ranged graphics at 120hz i believe i was blown away by the fact im just shy a good enough cpu to be able to pull that off if i had the monitors

anyways i know its late im rambling but i thought u might be bored and find this wall of text interesting

but hey if the wall of text burns your eyes like it would some ppl no worries its nothing important just rambling rofl

sorry if the lack of grammar/formatting is crossing the line on here but ive been forcing myself to work on something that must get done and im cramming it all into a 2 day 3 night no sleep schedule i guess u could call it due my deadline so im totally sleep deprived right now lol