Massive unput lag at 3440x1440 - Display input preference ?

spacejunk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012
Hi guys,

I've been using a Sony TV for my monitor for the last 10 years. Always being restricted to 1360x768 - I was never aware of the implications of high res gaming and displays.

I have finally upgraded my monitor to the LG34um95, which has presented several problems.

Games that typically run at 140+ fps now run at 30fps, which is understandable, but the problem is that if I use the screens native res I get horrible input lag.

In-game chat takes up to a second to appear - movable objects feel like they are attached to a rubber band.

I asked my friend, who also uses large displays and he said I should not be using DP for input. He recommended I use DVI input, or HDMI. As I don't have a DVI cable to test this I used HDMI which did nothing to fix the input lag.

So I have a few questions:

Which is the best input to use for gaming ?

Will upgrading my GPU have any effect on input lag ?

(if so, would 2x GTX 780 be enough to drive this display at max res ?

Lastly, what might be the reason I can't get a signal from my PS4 using this monitor ? - I get sound through HDMI 2 input but no picture.

Help appreciated.

spacejunk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012
Hey guys, thank you for responding.

This is my system specs:

Gigabyte G1-Sniper 3 1155 socket
i7-3770K
ASUS GeForce GTX 670 DirectCU II
G.Skill Ripjaws Z F3-2400C10D-8GZH 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
Corsair AX1200 Gold Power Supply
Western Digital WD Black 2TB WD2002FAEX x2
LG 34UM95-P 34in UltraWide QHD IPS Monitor

I set the monitor to game in the control menu, but the screen has a severe blue tint to it, so I didn't end up keeping that settings.

I have calibrated most settings to be optimal for fast moving pictures.

The 670 obviously can't drive this display, but I want to know if it is also causing the input lag as well.

spacejunk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012
Hey,

I just did a test with Devinity OS at max res.

GPU usage flat-lining at 99% the whole session. (no surprise there)
Temps 42c
FB usage: 77%
GPU voltage 1175

The question of whether I need a new GPU isn't what I'm asking. I just need to know if a better GPU will help with Input lag ?

And will 2 780's do the trick ? or I need 2 x Titan ?

Two GTX 780s should do.
What is the VRAM usage in actual MBs? It's possible that the input lag is caused by your GPU running out of VRAM.

EDIT: I'd wait for the GTX 980, it's rumored to be released on the 19th of this month, and it should only cost about $500.

spacejunk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012

Hey,

The FB usage is at 77% so it's not running out of ram. Almost but still has room to breathe.

I wonder how much the 980 will be. This timing sucks because I can't game with this input lag. If I change res to 2560x1080 it's stops the lag almost entirely, but that defeats the purpose of me buying this monitor.

Alright, so it's definitely not the RAM... Are you using Vsync (check Nvidia control panel as well as the settings of the games you're playing)? It's known to cause input lag if your fps keeps dropping.

Do you get input lag in light games like Minecraft?

spacejunk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012

I generally have V-sync off. I set V-sync to be off globally, unless I notice a lot of screen tearing.

I don't have Minecraft, but I just tested Spore which didn't give any noticeable IL, then again that game isn't particularly demanding.

The games/game that gives me horrible IL is Arche age. The GPU being at a constant 99% operation leads me to believe there's simply too much data for this GPU's bandwidth and although I am getting 30fps (which I find unplayable) the IL is the true problem.

DP is the input that I tried initially. I honestly can't tell the difference between DP and HDMI at this point. The IL is still very bad with either.

spacejunk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012

I wish I did, though borrowing someone's $1300 card is a proposition I would rather avoid.

I guess I have nothing to lose by upgrading my graphics, it will come with other much needed benefits. If I upgrade and still have the problem, then we will have something to work with.

Are you getting the input lag while outside of a game? If so I would be concerned about the monitor not so much the GPU, when you are sitting at the desktop cruising the internet even with a 4k display your GPU shouldn't be struggling.

If it's when your in game then it may simply be normal lag. Reduce the resolution in game so your performance goes up and see if you still experience input lag.

spacejunk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012

Out of game it's very crisp and responsive, no problems there.

It's input lag that I get which is easily distinguishable from fps lag.