Seagate external drive immediately switching off?

mikey2276

Honorable
May 4, 2013
I have a Seagate Backup Plus Portable drive -- this kind: http://bit.ly/1tGwxf4 -- and an unusual thing started happening today: plugging in the drive (via USB3) results in the LED light on the drive's connector coming on as usual, and Windows 7 plays its "USB device detected" sound, but after about ten seconds the light then switches off, and 7 plays the "USB device disconnected" sound. The drive doesn't even show up in My Computer or Disk Management, and there are no error messages that appear in Event Viewer. I'm not sure what kind of drive it is, but because it's so small, quiet and fast, I think it's an SSD.

I only noticed this tonight actually.. as far as I know, the drive has just been sitting here unplugged and on my desk for the day. So can anyone help me troubleshoot this? I fear it may be dead.

well i have to say if the drive still have a warranty RMA it. if not try removing it from the external casing and then directly plugging it to the sata port in the motherboard. there's a chance that only the external case is at fault and not the actual drive.