amd or nvidia

as things currently stand....

the 290x generally has equal or better performance than the 780ti's for less money.

however... the 290x card runs HOT which is somewhat of an issue unless you get one with a good cooler onboard and have good case airflow. the 780ti's do not have as much of a heat problem.

as far as the gtx980 is concerned its going to be better than the 780 but i'm not sure if it will beat out the ti or titan (perhaps not or perhaps almost even match, not sure yet until i see specs).

@jb, the gtx980 is the next version of the current 780. its not released yet. its in the news this month. the word is they are skipping the 8xx series because they used the 8 prefix in notebooks with no desktop equivalent and want to sync up the numbers again so they can have 9xx desktop variants and 9xxm mobile variants of the same architecture.

bluejayek

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
jbrown, it is useful to read an entire post carefully before responding!

He said 'wait' for gtx980, which is rumored to be announced today, or maybe september 18th.

I would say unless you need the card now, waiting a week or so would be in your best interest, as even if you don't get the 980, prices on other cards could drop in response to the announcements.