Reputable
Aug 19, 2014
Pretty recently (month?) I built my first PC. The main specs are

Corsair VS650w psu
Asus gtx 780 directcu ii oc gpu
i5 4670k cpu
8 gb ram
asus z87-a motherboard

From the beginning i've heard this weird inconsistent soft hum from around the CPU. It sounds like a muffled vacuum cleaner. I can hear it if its silent in the room my pc is in, but if there's the tv on or I play a game then I cant even hear it and i've ignored it (although it does irk me a lil bit, i'm kinda sensitive to noise that's not supposed to be there)

I installed Sims 3 today and as soon as I started it, I started to hear this very high pitched noise. I took the pc case off and listened to where it's coming from, and again I think its from the CPU. I'm not 100% sure though. Could be the motherboard as well, or the GPU. But I'm 120% sure it isn't coming from the PSU since it's on the opposite side of the case from the CPU, and when I hold my ear against where the CPU is, I think I hear it the clearest.

it's the first time i'm hearing this sound from the computer and it has me far more worried than the hum I mentioned above, although i'm not 100% sure what's causing that either. so far i've told myself it's the poor stock cooler (aftermarket one has been ordered yesterday).

i read from somewhere the sound could be caused by sims 3 not using v-sync, but I doubt that's it since I've played some other games with v'sync turned off and haven't heard it.

i've tried unplugging all but keyboard, mouse and the screen and still hearing it (dunno if that has any effect). Is this something that higher end components just.. do? can anyone give some guidance? I know the basics of computer stuff but still pretty new to this.

I dont know if coil whine (if that is it) is dangerous but I've become overly paranoid with this computer now. my old one pretty much self-destructed without a notice (PSU resigned), and i'm afraid this brand new one I've put so much money into will do so too lol. though the difference is I still have warranty on the components. growing gray hair anyway.

quick edit: Is ther also a chance i did something wrong in assembly? thanks.

bearsus

Reputable
Aug 19, 2014
Turns out sims 3 didn't have vsync on despite it's settings so I forced it through nvidia CP and now the whine is gone. So it was caused by the GPU? Is this normal or would the noise be gone if I RMA?

TRENDING THREADS