Will Apple Watch Wear Smartwatch Crown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlasterX

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014
The watch looks bulky as hell like a kid's watch. Even the Asus Zenwatch looks better in this case with the brown leather band.

With there douchebag move of putting 16GB storage in the bottom line iPhone 6 plus and expecting you to pay $750. I couldn't imagine also dropping at least $350 on a watch I'd have to throw out in a couple of years.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
The UX seems decent, but I don't like the bulkiness of it. Looks like it needs to be strapped pretty tightly for the heartrate sensor to work. Also no mention of battery life and it seems to use iPhone GPS instead of it's own, and yeah, needs an iPhone. The fanboy -reaction of the press during the live event was frankly shameful.

Overall seemed like a decent entry to smartwatch market, but so far none of them appeal to me.

Nuckles_56

Admirable
The UX seems decent, but I don't like the bulkiness of it. Looks like it needs to be strapped pretty tightly for the heartrate sensor to work. Also no mention of battery life and it seems to use iPhone GPS instead of it's own, and yeah, needs an iPhone. The fanboy -reaction of the press during the live event was frankly shameful.

Overall seemed like a decent entry to smartwatch market, but so far none of them appeal to me.
Without the fanboy reaction, apple launches are nothing

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Note to presenter; less sales pitch more demo.
Yeah, I can choose a friends picture and send a recorded burp instantly, I'm sure the others in the business meeting, especially the clients, will get a big kick out of it.

mr grim

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2012
Ugly ass crap is all I can say, I thought they would have at least made use of curved LCD technology, I much preferred the renders that have been shown on here previously, shame Apple didn't take note of them, here is an example of what an iWatch should look like http://max.macnn.com/article_images/1391428854-md-119305_md_12924_iwatch_release_date_is_october_2013.png or even this would be cool https://m1.behance.net/rendition/modules/54621669/disp/f47dd86baa3a7d25c96045d36a6584bb.jpg

Nothing about this watch says Apple but saying that even the new iPhone 6 doesn't look like an iPhone anymore, looks like they have leaned more towards the styling of the Galaxy with the curved bezel and I guess in that respect the iWatch does resemble the new iPhone 6.

Not that I would have ever bought one anyway, or any smart watch, but I was at least hoping to see something special and seeming innovative.

B4vB5

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
If there is an Apple watch or other digital watch, that can do all of the following,
- At least match what the Garmin 910XT can do, including being waterproof and built for sweat and slightly rugged too.
- Have at least 6+ hours of battery time, while actively GPS records and doing feedback every 5 sec
- Have touch and basic phone capabilities(receive texts, emails in text forms) and perhaps a full basic phone feature set(phone capabilities, voice msgs, two way communications)

..I would consider buying one. If it can match what an Edge 800 can do, as well as the above full feature set of the 910XT and two-way phone features, then I'll get one.

killer1one

Reputable
Jun 17, 2014
I don't use watches, and i don't see myself recharging one every 24 hours to do stuff that my phone does. I am not into this "smart"watch thing. The phone market helped the people by reducing the amount of devices needed. Phones have replaced cameras for the common folk, portable multimedia players, calculators, even watches. And now we are going back to having a second device to do things that we can already do with a phone (With one or two minor exceptions maybe?)?

Sorry not for me. Everybody has a portable computer know (Smartphone) you don't need 2, because they do the same thing: EVERYTHING

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
"In other words, I was asked to marvel at it. And I did."

You lost me right there.... I mean, you sound like a hypnotized goon and I feel everything beyond that point is going to be embellished rubbish because you're eyes are glossy over it being Apple.

Toms has extremes. You mock Motorola before you even try it but then you post an Apple article like this.

srap

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
Aaannnd.... I still can't see a point in smart watches.
There never was any from the beginning. It only a fusion of the shortcomings of a watch (small form factory, small 'display area') with the limitations of smart phones (battery life, possible and existing compatibility problems, short software support life, lack of security, artificially fast life cycles, etc.)

A 100 year old pocket or wrist watch can be still functional with little care (and it's value only grows as it ages), these won't live to see the third generation of their kind.

sadsteve

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2013
Hm, so to get anything beyond time and health/fitness info on the watch you have to have your iPhone with you. I'm having problems seeing why I'd want to purchase this over priced watch that just relays the info from the phone on my hip. I'd just use the phone instead since it has a much larger display and provides all the advanced features missing from the watch. I don't think this iWatch is going to be a big seller.

zahoome

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
"In other words, I was asked to marvel at it. And I did."

You lost me right there.... I mean, you sound like a hypnotized goon and I feel everything beyond that point is going to be embellished rubbish because you're eyes are glossy over it being Apple.

Toms has extremes. You mock Motorola before you even try it but then you post an Apple article like this.
Combine that with the next sentence:

"The Apple Watch represents distinct, compelling steps forward for this nascent technology category — steps that, once again, Apple proved only it can make."

and you can just see the fanboy drool dribbling down his chin. That first paragraph definitely sets the tone for the article as something extremely biased.

TechJunkie69

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013
The strength of the idea of smartwatches is to quickly view notifications and do simple actions without taking the phone out of your pocket. The problem they have had so far is that they are ugly. People who wear watches want them for looks and/or status mostly. In order for smartwatches to take off, they must start with looks and continue from there. The Moto 360 is a good looking watch first (at least the metal band ones do, love the black one). The iWatch even with the metal band still doesn't look appealing as a watch (though it looks better than the color band by a mile). The ultimate argument however, is longevity. As has been mentioned, even old 100+ year old watches can still work if they were taken care of, but these could be obsolete in 2-3 years if not potentially less. It will be interesting to see where things go from here.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Aaannnd.... I still can't see a point in smart watches.
There never was any from the beginning. It only a fusion of the shortcomings of a watch (small form factory, small 'display area') with the limitations of smart phones (battery life, possible and existing compatibility problems, short software support life, lack of security, artificially fast life cycles, etc.)

A 100 year old pocket or wrist watch can be still functional with little care (and it's value only grows as it ages), these won't live to see the third generation of their kind.

You hit it spot on, although the value of a watch over time can vary wildly. Generally though, a mechanical watch will never depreciate below a certain point. These Apple watches could be worth next to nothing in a few years.

The3monitors

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
I wear 2 things besides clothes. An ankh necklace and a real wristwatch that I bought 3 years ago. I havn't had to change the battery yet but my father has wristwatches that he bought back in the 70's and havnt needed to be repaired or replaced. No thank you to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.