Gaming Computer Casual/Semi Hardcore System?

MeowStan

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014
Guys I need some advice, I had posted the other day about a graphics card update well, that went awry and it fried both my graphics cards I tried luckily the place I purchased it took the one back! So since its outdated my best advice was to get a new system, ive been looking for a while but now I have saved a bit of money I can now purchase a higher end computer. BUT, before purchasing I need advice, will this system last me a while? I need to know? Give it to me straight my last one I feel was outdated in a year.

From ibuypower.com
Gamer Paladin
Processor - i7 5820K 6 core 3.3 GHz w/ 10% overclocking
Liquid cooling
8GB DDR4 Memory
NVidia Geforce GTX 770 2GB
700 W Power Supply
128 GB SSD w/ 1TB HDD

ITs a bit expensive! with shipping its $1660, is that too much or a good price and is this gonna be relavent for next gen games in the future? I mean I am wanting this system because I should be able to update it unlike my current computer down the road bc its more custom. Thanks for any advice?

I'd say go for a system with a cheaper CPU. The CPU is driving the price of that thing through the roof, but it won't really give you that much benefit to warrant its price. An i5 4670 for example is more than enough.

MeowStan

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014
unfortunately the build only allows me to select i7 processors all of which are very high end! I never realized thanks for the input!

Crushader

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014
I'd change the CPU to i5 4690 or i7 4790 (K version if you plan to OC), and make the RAM DDR3. There's no good reason to be an early adopter of DDR4 at the moment, just stick with DDR3, it will still last for at least 2-3 more years before DDR4 is in the affordable range. And use the savings to up the GTX 770 to 4GB version, should stick with EVGA for reliability, avoid ASUS cuz of their non-reference design, it will sag the card.

The CPU is ridiculously pointless. An i5-4690K is overkill right now, and will hold up for several years.

Go for an i5-4690K instead on a Z97 board, put the extra money into an R9 290X, and you'll get much better performance for a longer time.

MeowStan

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014
thank you guys SO much I am going through now and reconfiguring the build I had chosen I will post the new specs when I am done.

MeowStan

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014
These are my new specs based on your guys reviews.

1 x iBUYPOWER Internal USB Expansion System + Bluetooth & Wireless N Module
Processor : 1 x Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Processor (4x 4.0GHz/8MB L3 Cache) - Intel® Core™ i7-4790K
iBUYPOWER PowerDrive : 1 x PowerDrive Level 1 - Up to 10% Overclocking
Processor Cooling : 1 x Asetek 510LC Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1150] - ARC Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade
Memory : 1 x 16 GB [8 GB x2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand **FREE Upgrade to DDR3-1866 ADATA XPG V2**
Video Card : 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 - 2GB - Single Card
Motherboard : 1 x Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI -- 2x PCIe x16, 4x USB 3.0, 2x USB 2.0
Intel Smart Response Technology : X
Power Supply : 1 x 700 Watt - Standard - 80 PLUS
Primary Hard Drive : 1 x 128GB Apotop S3C SSD + 1TB 7200RPM HARD DRIVE

Crushader

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014
Hmm, Corsair is okay but might be pricier than Seasonic or XFX but less reliable than them two. So have a look around for a few more options on PSU before locking down to one.

bluejayek

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
Corsair would be fine, but are you sure that is actually corsair? All I see is "700W. Standard"

Another comment would be that 700W is overkill for that system size. This seasonic
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094&cm_re=seasonic-_-17-151-094-_-Product
would probably be best, but your website doesn't seem to list any seasonics. Of what seems available from what I am looking at, I would go with either the corsair CX750 or the corsair RM750. At least then you know what you are getting.

That being said, I would recomend a few changes:

Swap the i7 for the i5 4690K. You don't need an i7 for gaming, this will save a few $. Drop to the 4690 non-K if you don't intend to overclock.

SSD: Samsung evo 840 is a better drive. It may add a couple of dollars, but will probably be worth it in performance and reliability. Also consider a 256GB SSD. It will cost you, but idf you intend to install games onto the SSD 128GB will run out fast.

HD: Does your options let you specify the HD as a WD black rather then any old drive? WD drives seem to be more reliable then seagate (at least according to backblaze https://www.backblaze.com/blog/what-hard-drive-should-i-buy/), and the black is the best of the consumer grade drives for performance.

MeowStan

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014
Thanks, I wanna stick with the i7 just in case I do decide on more intense gaming it may be overkill for me right now but I wanna look more as what I could use it for down the road. And I would use the 1TB for games. Maybe use the SSD for certain ones? And yes there is a choice for WD Black but it is def extra $$ I don't want to spend lol but I may try to switch to the Samsung SSD!

bluejayek

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
Your choice to stick with the i7, I would likely do the same! Just wanted to give you the option since you were concerned be the total cost!

If you are not putting games on the ssd, I would step back and consider why you want one in the first place. The benefits to game loading times and the like only apply to things stored/installed on the drive. If you just install the OS on the ssd, the only main difference you will see is the computer booting faster, and potentially windows explorer etc. Being a bit snappier.

The WD I saw was the 2TB which was $$, I just wondered if you could see a cheaper 1TB option.

Edited for typos

MeowStan

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014
Thanks so much! I think I have finally reached a final build? Its a bit cheaper than the original I had come up with and I feel overall it will be a better gaming machine thanks to you guys!