Need a wifi router with modem

adnanjsr

Reputable
Sep 11, 2014
Hello,

I have a broadband connection with Ethernet cable input, which I use on my laptop directly over PPPoE connection. Now recently, I bought a wifi router from TP-Link model- TD-W8961ND which has an ADSL input. Guess this means I am screwed, can anybody please suggest a similar config router to go with?

Thanks

Can't make out what you are looking for from your post.

If your router has an ADSL input that means it also acts as a DSL modem. If that is not what you are looking for, what are you looking for?

There is no broadband connection that just uses an ethernet cable, that cable goes to either a modem or a router somewhere. If you use PPPoE you probalby have DSL which means you can use that TP-Link you got. You'll just need to configure your account info in it or set it up as a pass-thought.

Some more details about what you are using now will help, what is your service provider? What is that ethernet cord connected to on the other side?

adnanjsr

Reputable
Sep 11, 2014

I have a broadband connection cable with RJ45 pin as input but the TP-Link router has a ADSL (RJ11) input point and not RJ45... so I need a wifi router with RJ45 as input point and also should have a modem built-in. Hope this helps.

adnanjsr

Reputable
Sep 11, 2014

Yes my internet comes over RJ45 and uses a PPPoE connection fo which I also need a modem to keep it connected always rather than have to dial in everytime. Correct me if I am understanding things out of loop.

What is on the other end of the Ethernet cable you get internet from? I don't know of any broadband provider that just has an Ethernet cable run to the house for connection, there should be a modem at the other end of that cable that feeds off a DSL line or a coax cable line or fiber. But not just a random ethernet port hanging off the wall. Unless you are in an apartment that has jacks setup for you already in which case there will be a modem and a router connected to that jack.

If you have PPPoE setup, chances are you have DSL, and that ethernet cable is going to a modem that is setup in passthrough mode. You just need to configure that modem properly and you can hang a router off it.

Contact your ISP for details about your setup if you are not sure.

In some parts of the world Internet comes over Ethernet, with cables strung over the lamp posts, or coming of the roof. I helped recently a friend where Internet came over fiber with a box converting it to Ethernet, and it used PPPoE.

To OP: You should be able to configure your router for PPPoE, and to keep the link alive. You don't need DSL router for that.

That is the issue you must have some powered "box" ie modem or something else to covert to ethernet. It would be unrealistic to assume any ISP could deliver a service via ethernet because of the 100 meter limitation on ethernet cable.

There must be some device on the premise that is converting the connection whatever the incoming connection is to ethernet. Although there are a tiny number of other PPPoE is used almost exclusively with DSL.

This comes back to the main question. If the device he is plugging his PC into is a DSL modem he likely can remove that device and plug the router he is asking about directly into the where ever that device plugs into. If this is something other than DSL that happens to use PPPoE then he needs to buy a different router that can use ethernet for wan.