External hard drive (2.5) beeps every 16-18 seconds - not detected by pc

KasumiONE

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
Hi there on Toms Hardware!

I am seeking any useful help or advice as to what the current problem with my hard drive could be. I have an external sony 2.5 inch hard drive which has always been carefully handled (never dropped / knocked etc).
Recently both of my PC's and laptops have stopped detecting the hard drive. The hard drive itself makes a spinning sound when connected to the usb port which lasts for up to 16 seconds, at this point one beep noise occurs and then the spinning ceases to continue. A few seconds later the hard drive begins to spin for another 16 seconds or so and then the beep follows (for the same process to occur). I have tried using two different usb cables into various usb ports (usb 2 and 3). This problem occurred after I had disconnected the hard drive from my PC and when attempting to connect it into my laptop it was not detected from there on. Would anyone know if this is more likely to be an issue with the power / or an issue with the head stuck on the platter - before I attempt to open it. So much important data and feel very lost for words at this point, a back up I should of done :s

Thank you for any help in advance, much appreciated !

permanoob

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Does it happen to be an Iomega drive? Helped out a friend a month or so back with a slightly older Iomega external hard drive that had the same issue. If it's the same issue, whether it's an Iomega drive or not, it sounds like it's toast.

You can try taking the drive out and plugging it in like you would any other hard drive inside the computer. See if it's recognized there. That's about all the options you have.

KasumiONE

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
Hey :)

Its a Sony EG5 model, can hard drives which have the usb incorporated onto the actual board be connected to the pc? bit of a rookie but can probably search out a video if thats the case?

permanoob

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Yeah that's just a 2.5" laptop drive inside the case. Just have to get into that case. It'll be the 2.5" drive connected to a power/USB board. Just pull it from the board and voila, you should have a SATA and power port.