cpu fan specific for lga775 socket

Wil73

Reputable
Sep 11, 2014
Just got rid of my Thermaltake fan, was getting very loud. Bought an arctic 11 and it is very quiet, but temps ten degrees higher. Running 40c at Idle and 68c during burn-in test. Seems high to me. I took it off and reapplied the thermal paste. "arctic silver 5" same results. I don't think it fits right or maybe just a crappy heatsink? Any help or advice on a socket 775 specific heatsink would be great! Or any advice on the temps. I have a q9550 quad processor. Thanks!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
That cooler should be fine for the 95W Q9550, unless you are overclocking the processor. Are you putting on too much TIM? Using the line method as outlined in the instructions for the C2Q processors? Be sure the surface has been cleaned with proper cleaning solution before applying new TIM.
http://www.arcticsilver.com/intel_application_method.html#

Wil73

Reputable
Sep 11, 2014

Wil73

Reputable
Sep 11, 2014
I am not overclocking at least not yet. Will be upgrading mobo and all parts soon. I tried the line method first then used the "x" The temp seems to be dropping each time I turn it on. Maybe the TIM is being worked in? Running at 35 now. and yes cleaned with alcohol, q tips and a coffee filter. Do you think 32c would be doable? Only needs to last until the new borderlands comes out, Maxed out most of my computer to play that game... after that it will be a dinosaur!

Wil73

Reputable
Sep 11, 2014

I am not overclocking at least not yet. Will be upgrading mobo and all parts soon. I tried the line method first then used the "x" The temp seems to be dropping each time I turn it on. Maybe the TIM is being worked in? Running at 35 now. and yes cleaned with alcohol, q tips and a coffee filter. Do you think 32c would be doable? Only needs to last until the new borderlands comes out, Maxed out most of my computer to play that game... after that it will be a dinosaur!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
No prob. Sometimes the site doesn't work well. Busy.

Your original temps weren't unsafe, just higher than expected. But the latest temps you report are good for that CPU. Mid 30Cs at idle. The max core temp for that CPU is 76C. It can safely go higher, but that is Intel's recommendation.
Yes, AS5 has a long break-in period. Years if not in daily use for several hours/day. That and the fact that AS5 is electrically conductive (silver), is why I switched to MX-5. It is non-conductive, needs no break-in time, and actually lowered temps about 2C for me.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186038&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Thermal+Compound+%2f+Grease-_-N82E16835186038&gclid=CKb5xpD_28ACFYk7Mgod2EoAfw

But it sounds like you are all set as is.

Wil73

Reputable
Sep 11, 2014
Thank you for your all your help Clutchc. I love this site now. Will be using it soon when I build my next rig.