Building a new rig when RMA replacements get here

PoliScikosis

Reputable
Aug 14, 2014
Okay, so real quick summary.

Bought components from newegg and did a massive amount of homework while parts were being shipped to me. I havent attempted a new PC build since AMD first launched Phenoms 6-7 years ago. Parts came in and I went to work.

CM HAF Storm Stryker
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX MoBo.
AMD FX-8320 8 core
ASUS ATI R9 280 3GB card
EVGA 750W Supernova PSU
Crucial 256GB SSD
WD 1TB Cavier Blu
LG blu ray optical

Tested outside the case and machine posted fine (but for a small connection problem on the MoBo with the USB 2.0 interface)

Started putting components into the case. Powered machine on and started installing Windows 8.1

got through the installation of the OS and started to personalize it when the PC just shut down.

Long story short, the MoBo burnt the CPU up in about 30 minutes (I believe due to extremely low fan speeds ((seriously, they were barely turning)) but I didnt think much of it because the UEFI BIOS stated it would regulate fan speeds. Also, I was hoping to put the CM hyper 212 CPU cooler in but due to a stripped out screw on the MoBo I had to go with the stock fan....

RMA'ed CPU and MoBo to Newegg (last monday), just got word they are overnighting me replacements. When those parts come in.... I want to avoid the failure I experienced last time. Which is why I am posting now.

I get that the MoBo might have come to me defective, and I realize that the stripped out screw could have caused a short in the MoBo. That being said, are there some tips/tricks you guys can give me on setting up the machine this next go round?

*I have heard people wrap their case standouts in electrical tape.... does this work?
*I have heard others that use the anti-static film the MoBo comes in to line the back of the case on the standouts....
*The CM hyper 212 doesnt come with thermal paste, will the TP that comes with the CPU work?

If after I get the PC to post and start installing windows again I still see fan speeds that are very slow, should I allow the MoBo to regulate the fans (it has 4-5 fan connecters,) or should I route them all through the coolermaster case (that has a built in fan speed controller.)

Any additional advice would be great.

Thanks guys (and gals)