R9 290x Direct Cu ii high temperature?

desertblue

Reputable
Sep 12, 2014
Hi all,

Recently built a new computer with the following specs and am a complete noob :wahoo:. But while gaming in Metro Last Light with V-sync off, i noticed that my R9 290x asus direct cu ii graphics card reaches 90C and 100% load on max settings and 1080p.

It's on performance mode.....Is this damaging/ normal for the card? The airflow in my case seems adequate. There's a case fan in the front, back, and top. Back and top and blowing air out while front is blowing air in, and review sites usually show it at 77 max load...

Specs:

Case: Fractal define R4 artic white

CPU cooler: Hyper 212 Evo

Processor: Intel I5-4690k @ 3.5 GHz

Gpu: ASUS Radeon R9 290X DirectCU II

Memory: 8 GB

Many Thanks

vampyiere6

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
well the stock r9-290 hits about 95 degrees that is normal for the card it gets really hot but it is suposed to do but since you have asus it should be cooler in my opinion. you have it overclocked or so? and how is the airflow in your case? i would not worry if its at 90 degrees max but if it goes over that i should check for better cooling options.

desertblue

Reputable
Sep 12, 2014

Hey Vampiyiere,

It's not overclocked, but the airflow is what im concerned about. Everything's at stock settings and I downloaded the latest GPU drivers.
I've tried to upload an image of the inside of the case here:
TBl5FKF.jpg

Essentially, there's a case fan in the front (right side of picture) and a case fan to the back (left side of picture) as well as a case fan at the top (right above the CPU cooler).

The cables, for the most part, are out of the way of the fans. It runs around 45C idle from MSI afterburner.

Thanks for the speedy response!

vampyiere6

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
you have the back fan as exhaust and front as intake? if you have/can add a extra fan at top put that as exhaust too. muc more then that you cant seem to do unless you liquid cool it, but i dont think there is enough room for that.

i would say get some better airflow fans and put them as i said thats the best way i can think of, btw do your fan on the gpu run at 100% when stress it or play games?

if not put the Fan Threshold to higher.

desertblue

Reputable
Sep 12, 2014
About the back fan and front fan I believe so...Those were the default fans that came with the case. The fans don't run at 100% under load, I have it under auto and it seems to max out at 50%..

I guess I'm just wondering if it's normal for a GPU card to reach 90C under 50% fan speed at full load, or if I should be worried that the card is getting damaged from this. Looks like I'll just put the fan threshold to higher percentage.

Thanks for all your help.

vampyiere6

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013

no the card will not take any damage from that as its designed to run at 95 degrees but if your gpu fan is max 50% when full load put it higher if it does not annoy you that you think it is too loud have it at about 70-80% or just run it at 100% for 1 game to see what the temps are. the case fans can run at normal speed but bump the gpu fan to about 70-80%.

You should be able to change the Threshold for the gpu for example 50% at 70 degrees, 70% at 80 degrees and 100% at 90 degrees, that was just a example but you should be able to do that if not just put a constant 70% or so if the sound does not annoy you.

I myself have a gigabyte card the 7970 and at 80% i dont think its that loud they have really good cooling at they are pretty quiet

desertblue

Reputable
Sep 12, 2014

Should this fan threshold change be possible through BIOS or would I have to get a type of software for it?

desertblue

Reputable
Sep 12, 2014

I'll definitely try that when I get back. In the meanwhile, do you know if the case fans I have are good? Antec two cool 140 mm with 33.6 CFM does seem a little on the short side..

Thanks for the suggestion.

meh, shouldn't matter much. i use cheap kingwin 120mm 900rpm fans i get from tigerdirect for free after rebate, they are very quite, but i have 4 of them along with the 1 rear exaust that my thermaltake came with(3 push 2 pull). but it can never hurt to add some more if you can get them. but i wouldnt expect even the best case fans to have much of an effect on your 290s temps. though you seem to be running very hot, much hotter than the reviews for the asus dc2 show.

i would check your asus warranty and see if they will allow you to remove the dc2 cooler and reapply the thermal paste without voiding your warranty. this is always been an issue from time to time on many graphics cards.

desertblue

Reputable
Sep 12, 2014

It seems like removing the heat pipes or screws will void the warranty :/.....Is it possible the reviews are running the fans at 100%?

Anyways, I'm trying the msi Afterburner fan adjustment. It won't damage the fan if I play around with the profile will it? I have the fan speed maxed to 70% when it reaches 85C.

desertblue

Reputable
Sep 12, 2014
So I tried setting my own fan curve in MSI afterburner, but a new problem started...

I noticed while playing Borderlands 2 the FPS drops to around 40 and sometimes even 20. The GPU is around 62C and is only around like a 40% load. I only tinkered with the fan settings but it didn't give me this issue before. Anyone got any idea what's going on?

vampyiere6

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013

can you see at what speed mhz your card runs at when you play? at 62 degrees it should not throttle so sould be no problem.

What fps did you have before?

desertblue

Reputable
Sep 12, 2014
Well I did some googling and found the solution. Apparently deleting the config files for this somehow cleared it up...my fps went back to a solid 72 cap w/o any drops.

I guess I'll just keep the fan up and email ASUS if i should be concerned about the fans...

Thanks for sticking with me the whole way through :)

desertblue

Reputable
Sep 12, 2014

Yeah pretty much...Temps hover around 65-70, but this thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1672024/borderlands-low-fps.html
did the trick

JustGetOwned

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015
I have the r9 290x myself and the card does indeed get very hot. It is meant to be able to run at around 90 degrees because that's where it performs best but I am not sure if your GPU is meant to work so hard at that game.