OCing i7-5930K Haswell on ASRock X99 WS LGA 2011-v3

Perzeph

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014
I was considering using the i7-5930K Haswell on the ASRock X99 WS LGA 2011-v3 motherboard, however, a reviewer at newegg stated that he ran into stability issues:

"There seems to be some stability issue between the memory and overclocking the CPU, even using preset OC setting through the bios. When the cpu is bumped up at all; the memory becomes unstable. As in locks the machine up. I can blame the motherboard, mem, or cpu, specifically, but it is disappointing the memory stability is an issue with a simple 1% cpu speed increase. I'm running Scientific Linux 6.5, so stability maybe better in Windows."

source: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157536&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Can anyone confirm this claim and/or suggest a potentially better motherboard for less than $350?

unmeaty

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah, I'm having these exact same issues. I've got the 5930K and the Extreme 6 and overclocking the CPU for any reason results in massive instability - the system freezing kind. It doesn't matter the clock speed, multiplier, voltage, it just won't work.

They've already made two BIOS revisions that have improved things somewhat, but only if you consider the fact that it will POST and boot up Windows before freezing up to be improvement.

Very disappointed. I rode my Extreme 4 z77 with a 3770K for a year and a half of trouble free bliss, you I stuck with the same model line. I know this is bleeding edge stuff, and I do feel like they will eventually sort it out, but right now...yeah. I can't recommend it.

That being said, if you OC nothing it runs extremely well, but I don't have liquid cooling to run my unlocked CPU at stock speeds.

Latest posts