There are Currently No Logon Servers Available

multitalent02

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
I know there has been a thread about this error before but I think my issue is a bit different.

About a month ago my office was hit with a massive flood which caused some major problems. Our server was damaged and hasn't been replaced yet. We have internet and can connect to our applications. My username that was setup on the server for our domain only works on certain computers. Same with other people in my office. How come I can use our administrator account on some but not on others and how come I can log into some but not others? I know it has something to do with privileges but I guess I want to know if there is a fix without our server being here.

Should have a new server in a few weeks. The people who have been at their job have had the same computer for a couple years so they don't have any problems getting into their computers but they get this error trying other PC's.

permanoob

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Windows will retain user/pass information for a certain period of time and if you're logging in without the domain controller available and it happens to have the creds stored, you can log in. If not then you're out of luck logging in with a domain account. Don't you have a local user or admin you can log on as?

multitalent02

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
I don't know them off hand and for some reason my boss disabled all of the administrator accounts on them. This happens on XP as well.

permanoob

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Without a domain controller to authenticate against, those users won't be able to log into other PCs and eventually their own. When your new server comes in are you setting up a new Windows Domain or do you have a copy of the old database and schema? If you are setting up something new, you're going to not like what's coming.

multitalent02

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
Well we lost our back up tapes in the server except we did have one that was from a week before the flood in a drawer so we sent it out to a company to extract the information on to an external HD so hopefully our vendor can apply it to our new server, otherwise I have a feeling I am not going to like what's coming. (I think this means we need to recreate everyones usernames / passwords plus ???)

permanoob

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
That would be correct. You would have to redo the entire user/OU structure. Which also means the work of moving files around the desktops from the old domain user account folder (.\Documents and Settings\jwilliams\My Documents\) to the new one (.\Documents and Settings\jwilliams.newdomainname\My Documents\)

Just a nightmare all around. Hopefully you guys will keep more than a week's worth of backup going forward. I'd recommend keeping it offsite as well.