SSD vs RAM in Gaming and Video Editing

Atte

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
Right now, I am planning on buying a new gaming/editing laptop. I have a strict budget of $1500 and I have found a nice laptop for the price. (http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_customed&model_name=NP8268-S) With buying this laptop having no extra modifications (that can be personalized on their website) I would still have $100 left over. For heavy gaming and moderate video editing, (3D models, high res textures, etc) should I upgrade the RAM from 8 GB to 16 GB, or add a 120 GB SSD? Thanks!

Mythos_Man

Reputable
Jul 7, 2014
Hello Atte, both the ram and the hard drive are upgradable, but the ram would be easier to upgrade. I would go for the SSD, as it would cost more to replace the hard drive with an SSD than it would to simply get another ram stick.

Atte

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
Thank you for the response. The laptop comes with 2 mSATA ports already, just empty if no SSD is selected. So I wouldn't have to replace my hard drive.

Mythos_Man

Reputable
Jul 7, 2014

I would say start with the SSD, because the ram would be easier to find at a store, and also simpler to install.

If you do plan on doing some video editing I would recommend you consider adding an HDD in the future as a storage drive in addition to the SSD drive. For video editing it is a good practice you have your project files and a separate drive from the OS and editing software. This will reduce some of the system overhead while editing.