Go for Haswell Refresh or wait for broadwell refresh ( with intel's architectural 'toc' improvement) ?

Kash_champ

Reputable
Sep 13, 2014
My old rig with 1. x58 chipset motherboard 2. intel core i7 950 broke down. ( or rather i dicided to put it down)

So, now i have to build a new rig. So, should i go for Haswell refresh CPU or wait a year for Broadwell refresh (considering intel's word for Broadwell Refresh release in h2 2015 to be true)? And by that time DDR4 should also atain some maturity in the market, loose some of its prices bars and a few gliteches too.
In the mean time I have my laptop to make do with. A poor replacement but I can manage.

So, What you think guys? [ I searched but there wasn't a clear thread on this topic so made one. if I missed somthing please refer me to that thread.]

[Guys, tech experts - I'm not a tech guy. I'm just a computer geek who likes keeping up with latest IT market and has been surfing Tom's Comunity for last 3 years even though this is my first post. well you have to beging somewhere. So, please go easy on me]

Vexillarius

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
DDR4 support for mainstream CPUs won't be around until Skylake comes out. Skylake (2015-2016 I think) is set to be Broadwell's successor. As for as I know it's by no means certain that Broadwell Refresh is even going to exist. It definitely won't have DDR4 support.

If you get a 4790K you'll be more than set until Skylake comes out and probably longer. DDR3 is going to be the standard for software for a long time, even after mainstream DDR4 hits the market. I don't think it's worth it to use a crappy laptop for 2 years waiting for DDR4.

Kash_champ

Reputable
Sep 13, 2014

Yeah, you are probaly right. And I meant to say Skylake; that's what intel is naming the broadwell refresh ( I mean Skylake is 14nm die + new architechtural configuration).

And also I agree with you on DDR3 being in the market long after DDR4's arrival but the way gaming & audio-visual IT is growing don't you think the data transfer requirment are bound to increase significantly in foreseeable future. intel's new Skylake architecture are supposedly going to give us better utilisation of DDR4. Even though I usually change my mainboard and CPU every 3 - 4 years, but if I go for Haswell refresh now, then by the time skylake arrives and data requirment increases and i might have to go for skylake then I have to dump DDR3 (atleast 16 GB now) only after 1 - 1.5 years of use. I mean will that be worth it. and I would also like opinions on the growing data transfer demand with all 4k, 3d, and ultra resulution gaming coming up and all.

jasonite

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2012
If you buy a Z97-based mobo and an 1150 socket-compatible CPU such as Devil's Canyon series, in all likelihood you will be able to use your rig for the next 3-5 years. You can get the broadwell-based stuff when they come out if you like, and you can upgrade your GPU's a few times over the next few years and keep up just fine with the gaming community. AND you will save yourself a lot of money by not buying the super-expensive components coming out for the rest of this year. It's a no-brainer right now for virtually every gamer on the planet.

As for 4k, IMO it will be a waste to get a 4k monitor. The size of screen you would need to benefit from the increased resolution would be at least 36-42", and probably not until you hit 50" or more, so save that for your TV screen. All it does on monitors is make your games harder to render and the font even smaller. Here's an article on it, and I think it's optimistic: http://lifehacker.com/what-is-4k-and-should-i-buy-a-4k-display-right-now-1540920905

Whenever one new technology comes around it takes a year or so before the community can benefit from it. Now there are several new techs: new CPU's, new RAM, new mobos, M.2/Sata express, etc. Do yourself a favor and don't buy it, that's my answer.

J

Kash_champ

Reputable
Sep 13, 2014
Thanks guys. I do get you points now. I mean even though I tiltled it based on cpu only but i actually was worried about the ram too. I mean 16 GB of DDR3 is not enough for me now. how am I gonna keep up with DDR3 in a year or so? And one thing i also should tell you about where I live its hard to get high tech stufs but its even far worse for back dated stufs. And also I was woriied about storage transfer rates. For now I can make do with good SSDs in RAID 0 but will I be able to keep up.

jasonite said "Whenever one new technology comes around it takes a year or so before the community can benefit from it. Now there are several new techs: new CPU's, new RAM, new mobos, M.2/Sata express, etc."

That another a of my delema. Usually one tech changes at a time. but when so many things are coming new altogether it kindda indicate its going to revulutionise old thing. No? Like they alraedy talking about next gen USB to support Hight bit Graphics, new display port for even more bandwith. new LAN, new WAN & Wireless dispaly etc. all at the same time. Appart from my question about cpus; what do you think, will
SATA 3 be able to keep up even with SSDs ( RAIDs)? I mean look at their desparation, they are trying SATA Express, PCIe Storage and what not. Somethings ought to change.

But now I totally agree with you now on cpus though. except that I don't belive Skylake will be socket 1150. May be I'm not getting it right what jasonite ment by being able to get the broadwell based stuf when they come out.

thanks again.