The "new" AMD fx cpus...

xgamer1500

Reputable
Jun 19, 2014
Honestly, WTF. They are still based on Vishera, its the same chip. The E chips are a bunch of bull. if I drop my 8350 down to 3ghz, i'd only consume 95watts max too.
Intel's new chips will destroy the "new" amds. Im an AMD fan too but there is no way the same old vishera chip is gonna come close to the intel. If you want a vishera 8 core chip, buy an 8320. You can OC to 4ghz no problem and get the same performance as an 8350/70.

You're essentially spot on.

AMD know their place in the market. I've heard that price drops will come in due course so the more models they have available at varying price points, and with differing features (reasonable tdp), the more sales they'll get. They're not necessarily competing with intel in the high-end, and haven't been for a while now. The 8320 is still the best choice from AMD, it will be interesting to see if the newer ones clock at all higher.

xgamer1500

Reputable
Jun 19, 2014

the new ones really don't. the 8370 clocks at 4.1 stock and turbos to 4.3, the 8350 is 4/4.2. i have mine at 4.6... the new chips clock no higher than the 8320 can easily get to. i hope the excavator architecture will deliver a smile to my face.

Everything I have seen indicates that Excavator will be only APUs, it won't be a new set of FX chips, AMD is out of that market and they know it, but they also know that there is a much better market for APUs than there is for the FX chips, gamers are still a small percentage of PC users, a strong CPU doesn't matter as much to many.

You might see something attempting to do high end chips in the next architecture overhaul after Excavator when they will be moving away from the bulldozer based design, but i wouldn't hold your breath, its at least two years away.

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED

The i5's and i7's are considerably more expensive than so it is not a direct comparison. These are cpu's to fill a niche. There are tons of people with boards only rated for a 95 watt cpu. Now they can pop an 8 core into them. Only geeks like us buy 125 watt cpu's and downclock them. 99% of the people who build computers don't have a clue about what a bios even is.

The release of these "new" CPUs is something that should have happened a year ago, if not long before (like even at the launch of Vishera), because of all the older, or not-as-well-equipped motherboards.

I think The Stilt did a write-up on some of the binning changes that have occurred with these "new" CPUs, and I think it mostly boils down into the leakage of energy. However! He did manage to make a new overclocking record with the 8370 by overclocking past 8 ghz with all eight cores active. Impressive. I think for your average person, this may translate into getting past 4.6 ghz is that much easier.

There is a lot to say on the subject. I think it was a good move, but I can understand people's frustrations with the perceived stagnation.

(I think that a type of FX refresh using Richland components would have been a better move, especially with the emphasis on Turbo Core.)

mdocod

Distinguished
I'm not sure how an FX refresh using richland could be a "better" move than what they already did. Richland parts are low leakage piledriver based APUs. The new "E" FX chips are low leakage piledriver based CPUs. How much more like richland did these new FX chips need to be to be better?

Richland also included a number of extra temperature sensors, with a different way of handing Turbo Core functionality. Energy leakage aside, they could turbo faster, for a longer period of time. Additionally, they did something with the memory controller, but I can't remember if they used a better one, or just simply overclocked it.

The biggest change was with the Turbo Core functionality, and since the new lot depends on that, it seemed to me like they could have went the extra step. Then again, Richland came out for AMD's APUs and Mobile platforms; I'm not sure what difficulties they would have with trying to augment the AM3+ socket to accommodate. (Certainly a BIOS update.)