Question about thermal paste for my computer I'm putting together.

JAlsoome3516

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014

Mouldread

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013
Hello,

the CPU cooler you are buying is overkill for this CPU since the CPU isn't unlocked and you won't be able to overclock it. On stock speeds even the stock cooler that comes with the CPU will keep it cool enough. If you wanted to reduce the noise from the stock cooler you could buy some aftermarket one but you can easily go away with a $25-30 cooler. Many people recommend https://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2 as a good price/performance ratio cooler.

Also keep in mind that the Dark Rock Pro 3 is very heavy and might be putting some unnecessary stress on your motherboard and is also quite big so it might not fin in every case. If you however have decided to keep it you don't need to worry about thermal paste as it comes with a syringe with thermal paste as part of the package.

Edited: typo

Mouldread

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013
I just think it's a waste of money buying this huge and expensive cooler if you are not going to overclock. You could keep the money you save of put them towards buying another component - like better GPU or anything.

Just take a look at the pictures below and compare the results you get with the Dark Rock Pro 3 and the 3 times cheaper CM Hyper 212 EVO for example.

CPU_stock_idle.gif
CPU_stock_typical_a.gif

Talking about 1 degree in idle and 3 degrees under load. Think is it worth it spending this much money? But of course, the decision is yours and by no means I don't insist you buying the CM Hyper 212 EVO - I only gave it as example.

P.S. If you have already purchased the Dark Pro 3 please don't feel bad about it - it's a great cooler and it will serve you well for years to come.

JAlsoome3516

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014
I plan on buying a new gpu soon. But I've had to buy all these parts to build a new pc because the mobo blew in my other case. Damn stupid server motherboard that my brother insisted on putting in my computer and he said it was great for gaming and I wasn't going to argue and deny free parts he offered to get. I knew it wasn't going to work but he didn't listen LOL

Mouldread

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013
Ha-ha, I see. Well, have fun building/upgrading your PC. If you have more questions feel free to ask - a lot of people here on the forums are willing to help as much as they can.

JAlsoome3516

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014
Oh I wil enjoy! I'm losing game time before the next world of Warcraft expansion and before all this happened, I pre ordered the Sims 4 and can't play it because I've no computer lol