3-Monitor Setup via DVI not DP

VenturaBullet

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014
I have a Gigabyte Radeon R9 270 GPU. It currently runs a 32" TV, used as a big monitor/video via HDMI->HDMI, and a 22" monitor via DVI->DVI. If I want to add another 22" monitor via the GPU, can this be done via the second DVI or must it be with the Display Port on the card, to the DVI on the new monitor? This is not used for gaming but java streams and office for work. I've been told it can only be done via the Display Port, so would like clarification.

No worries, glad to help.

Just make sure when you get the adapter that it has the word "ACTIVE" in it... or better still, lists AMD/Eyefinity compatibility. I know you're not using eyefinity, but the requirements are the same output wise.

There are standard/passive DP->DVI cables which will NOT work (been there myself, very frustrating). "Active" is the key word.

It's on a special, as you see, so that's not too bad. maybe they're finally becoming affordable. I'm just waiting for reasonably priced MST hubs, they still cost a pretty penny!

VenturaBullet

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014
I thought I should add an update. I coupled up the new monitor, a Packard Bell Viseo 223DX, DVI->DVI. And it works without the DP->DVI adapter. So I have two of these monitors via DVI->DVI and a 32" LG TV/monitor, HDMI->HDMI, coupled up to the R9 270, and the DP is not in use. Nevertheless, I went ahead with the adapter order as I will be wanting a fourth monitor next year for work. Still, thanks for the replies.
I bought one of these: http://www.amazon.com/XFX-MA-AP01-PD1K-Active-DVI-Converter/dp/B00NZVX4Y0/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1412425018&sr=8-2-fkmr2&keywords=xfx+active+dvi-dp+dongle
And it worked a treat. Will be adding a fourth monitor to the now-free DVI slot in the GPU.