Triple Display AND Dual GPU on a GTX 590

S_S_Phil

Reputable
Sep 3, 2014
Is there a way to have dual-GPU AND triple-display set up on my system?

Hi all, I have recently upgraded to a GTX 590, however I have had a fairly annoying problem when it comes to multiple monitors and multi GPU.

I can either have dual GPU and a maximum of 2 monitors, or Single GPU and 3 monitors.

A friend of mine said he knew of some software he installed on a customers PC to remedy this problem, but could not recall the name of the software. This is why I thought it might be possible to do so.

Also, my monitors are different resolutions and sizes, so nVIDIA surround is not an option for me.

Sorry for the long winded question, I hope you can please help me :)

Solution
"So it is technically SLI"

It is only SLI if you are using a SLI bridge to connect them and they are the same GPUs. I do not believe you can SLI dissimilar GPUs.

As for doubling you performance by putting in a second GPU, I believe (some one correct me if I am wrong) that only one GPU at a time can do the work so it is better to hook all of your monitors to one card and maybe setting you other card to do the PhysX.

JimF_35

Distinguished
"So it is technically SLI"

It is only SLI if you are using a SLI bridge to connect them and they are the same GPUs. I do not believe you can SLI dissimilar GPUs.

As for doubling you performance by putting in a second GPU, I believe (some one correct me if I am wrong) that only one GPU at a time can do the work so it is better to hook all of your monitors to one card and maybe setting you other card to do the PhysX.

Solution

S_S_Phil

Reputable
Sep 3, 2014
Okay, I have also done a couple of small tests in a few games. I was getting 60fps+ in skyrim at 1080p with max graphics (No mods), so I think that a single GPU with the other on physX will work just fine, thankyou so much for your help :)

JimF_35

Distinguished
Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. I did some testing with my RIG and here are the numbers:

GTX 780 and GTX 780

No SLI
- One Monitor Plugged into second card. -> Average FPS: 51.0 Score 1285
- Two Monitors Plugged into second card. -> Average FPS: 47.6 Score 1199
- Three Monitors plugged into same card. -> Average FPS: 51.1 Score 1287

With SLI
(With Span with surround)
- One Monitor Plugged into second card. -> Average FPS: 50.8 Score 1280
- Two Monitors Plugged into second card. -> Average FPS: 50.2 Score 1264
- Three Monitors plugged into same card. -> For some reason it would not let me because Windows kept getting screwed up with the
"expand desktop to this monitor" function.

(No Span with Surround)
- Three Monitors plugged into same card. -> Average FPS: 80.2 Score 2020
- You have to have all monitors on same card for 3D Optimized.

GTX 780 and GTS 450

No SLI (MAin Display set to GTX 780
- One Monitor Plugged into second card. -> Average FPS: 45.1 Score 1137
- Two Monitors Plugged into second card. -> Average FPS: 45.1 Score 1135
- Three Monitors plugged into same card. -> Average FPS: 51.4 Score 1296

No SLI (MAin Display set to GTS 450
- One Monitor Plugged into second card. -> Average FPS: 8.2 Score 207
- Two Monitors Plugged into second card. -> Average FPS: 7.6 Score 191
- Card only had 2 DVIs

I could not SLI the GTX 980 with the GTS 450. I tried but no go just as I figured.

If you look at these numbers you will note that the GPU the system decides to use for all of its processing is the one the Primary Monitor is on. If you have your primary monitor on your slower GPU then your results will be really slow because it will not use your faster GPU at all.

It is better to put al of your monitors in your fastest GPU regardless of the case even with SLI and without. It is also better to not use surround SLI. My guess is with surround SLI that you're making a really big virtual monitor and that is why it is slower.

Summary:

Your system will only use one GPU at a time unless you have SLI or Crossfire and in order to do that you must match GPUS. I hope this helps you and others.

harboym

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014

Did you even read the OP's question? He is running an Nvidia GTX 590, that card has two physical (matching obviously) GPU's on it's single board. From a technaical/software standpoint, he is using SLI technology. The (still single) card can run in either single GPU mode. or dual sli with it's second (on-board) GPU.

The OP's question was if it is possible to run 3 monitors out of the card while in dual sli mode. Which has nothing to do with basically everything you've posted.

harboym

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014

A GTX 590 should be able to run three monitors with no issues regardless of SLI being on or off, so the issue may be with SLI? I'd read this thread:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/318357-33-nvidia-used

It seems like it could help. But I would definitely try getting to the point of all monitors working and then try to get SLI going from that point without losing the monitor.

S_S_Phil

Reputable
Sep 3, 2014
Thanks for your response, harboym, however the link you provided didn't really help me much.
The link to the EVGA patch simply sent me to an NVidia drivers download, and when I went into NV control panel to attempt a "forced SLI", I couldn't find any of the options they were saying about.

I don't know if I'm just missing something obvious, or if the post is a little outdated, but if you have any other ideas for anything that might work, it would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks for your time :)