Help me with my first time gaming build

lpolaright

Reputable
Sep 15, 2014
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this whole building your own computer thing, and I just love playing the newest games on the highest settings. Seeing that my current system became old (a strong laptop my father bought me back in the day) I decided to build my own system.

I generally found all my parts, seeing guides around the internet including this website and many others I concluded in the following parts for a good computer that will last for a few years:

(Please note that I live in Israel, so everything here is 1.5xUS price)
The prices here are really not relevant, but I added them anyways just for curiosity's sake.

• GPU: Sapphire Toxic R9 280x - (410$)
    CPU: Intel i5 4690 - (281$)
    MotherBoard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H - (159$)
    RAM: G.Skill F3-10666CL9S-8GBXL - (96$)
    PSU: Corsair CX750 - (144$)
    SSD: SanDisk 128GB - (82$)
    HDD: Western Digital 1000GB WD10EZEX - (71$)
    Case: NZXT Phantom 410 - (73$)
Overall: 1316$ (in Israel)
The equivalent of 800~900$ build in the US.

Please note that I will probably not overclock, since I do not yet understand what overclocking really is (maybe in the next few years I will learn).

I have the following concerns, I would be happy if you guys could address them in your comments:

• It was really hard to choose between the 280x and the GTX 770, however in my country the difference was 75$, do you think the GTX is worth it?

I have no clue if the motherboard is good, I tried to read up on the reviews, but if you fellas know any good parallel priced motherboards, let me know please!

Is the 750W Corsair PSU an overkill for this system?

I'm a bit worried about the reviews about the Sapphire's 280x, they say it crashes a lot, however professional analysis of some websites I checked showed that it's better. (So I'm quite confused if perhaps I should go for Asus, or maybe MSI)

Forgot to mention that I'm planning to run the latest games (Assassins Creed Unity, Watch Dogs... etc.) on the highest settings if possible for this kind of budget build.

Please, let me know what you think, any other tips will be great!
Thanks, and please excuse my English!

Seeking Solace

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014
Your English is excellent, and much better than many, many people I know, it pains me to say.

Question number one; I would really hate to out right tell you which card to go for since they each have their own merits that it should come down to what you want and what you are happy paying for, maybe this thread that contains an extended discussion on the topic might aid you in your decision.
Forum discussion

Gigabyte are a reputable board manufacturer and are one of the top choices for builds alongside ASUS, ASrock and MSI. I can't think of the ASUS price equivalent but off the top of my head ASrock's extreme 4 and MSI's G45 gaming boards should be similarly priced. When I built my system I went for the extreme 4 (last generation, built mine several months before the release of the z97). MSI, I think would have been my second choice. Again, a decision for you to make yourself, though reviews do help.

750W isn't so much overkill if you go with the AMD card, since it uses more power than the Nvidia, but I imagine a 650W would suit as well. If you do plan on overclocking in the future then that PSU series might not be the best choice. If you can find a decently priced option that finds itself in at least tier 2 in this list then that would be better. I just don't know what your availability is like.

Again, read the first thread I posted to help you decide about the graphics card, from what I saw of my quick read through the Toxic isn't much faster than the regular version and if I'm not wrong (I might be) I think XFX make a good version of that card.

I know I didn't really offer you any definitive answers as I am in no way an expert on this, just someone who enjoys the topic but I hope I help, and I'm happy to talk you through your options.

lpolaright

Reputable
Sep 15, 2014

Thanks for answering Seeking Solace! I really appreciate the attention.

1. I've already found that post you've sent me during my research time, eventually I found the next conclusion:
GTX 770 is slightly better than the r9 280x, however, it is also more expensive, in my country especially (instead of a 35$ difference, I need to pay a 75$ difference). Question here though is whether or not it is worth paying for that difference. I imagine eventually by paying these extra 75$ it will be for the better experiences people had with the GPU based on reviews and (probably) an unnoticeable extra performance.
I am currently leaning on the 280x for the price and the fact that the extra performance may not be noticeable.
I Imagine that if I was getting my parts in the US I would have picked the GTX 770.

2. ASrock extreme 4 and the MSI G45 seems to be more expensive by 100$. I have no idea why the price jump between the Gigabyte I picked and both of the other boards, they seem to have pretty much the same specs, unless I'm reading something wrong.

3. Thanks for the link! It helps a lot, I will have to research the list and check out if I can get perhaps a better PSU for the same price range.

4. The differences between the manufactures are barely registering, perhaps (at most) 5 fps more. I'm more worried for the quality of the GPU's themselves. I'll take a look at reviews for the XFX (I actually spent more time looking at MSI and Gigabyte).

One more question (Sorry!): I'm kind of worried that everything won't fit the case I've picked, or that I accidentally picked a motherboard that doesn't fit the Processor. As a first timer I really am afraid to pick the wrong parts coupling. Does it look like the parts fit? I did double and triple check it before, however, it would be great if some one could take a look at this and let me know?

Thank you so much for the help!

Seeking Solace

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014
PCPartpicker can be your friend. Though I don't think it can help you find your stores, you can use it to work up your list to check for incompatibilities and other suitable options to check up on. Your processor sits in Intel's current mainstream 1150 socket, which is what is provided on the Z97 boards.

I don't see any issue and the NZXT Phantoms are great cases, I suggest checking Newegg for reviews and also unboxings to show you if the drive cages can be removed for those pesky huge graphics cards. If I remember correctly the 410 CAN, but it shouldn't be an issue for most graphics cards. Make sure to double check that.

Strange to hear about the difference in prices, and a shame, looks like your decision is made for you on that front then.