Are the new GPU's worth upgrading to?

Ro-Tang Clan

Honorable
Jun 22, 2013
Hi,

I currently own an MSI GTX 770 Lightning GPU and I'm a person that wants to max out the graphical settings regardless of what game. I feel with the new generation of games that are coming out I will soon not be able to max out games especially with only 2GB of VRAM.

I was going to SLI this card until I found out that MSI no longer make this Lightning version anymore and I don't want to be left with odd cards. My question being then, are the new Nvidia cards based on the Maxwell architecture worth jumping to, specifically the GTX 980? Or am I better off sticking with a GTX 780 or a 780ti if my budget can stretch that far?

I s'pose this is a premature question as official tech specs and benchmarks haven't been released yet although this is something that I'm pondering on and I'd like to hear people's thoughts on the matter.

Vexillarius

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
Well, rumour has it that the 900-series will actually be cheaper.

That said, it's impossible to say if you're better off with a 980 or a 780 (Ti) right now because of the reason you stated yourself: the 900-series' specs aren't confirmed yet.

I'd recommend waiting for the 900-series to come out (the 19th I believe) and to make your decision then.

Ro-Tang Clan

Honorable
Jun 22, 2013

Yeah I thought someone might magically shed some light on the matter, but the truth is what I already know. The 19th huh? Well I guess I'll wait until then. Cheers anyway :)