$175 Battlefield 4 PC

Richard ecker

Reputable
Sep 15, 2014
I few months ago I decided I wanted to get back into PC gaming, but with rent and all my other bills it would be a long time before Id have the money to spend on even a $500 build. I've been playing the Battlefield series since the release of 1942, so priority was to play BF4 on decent settings online. There's a lot of debate on weather older CPU's can play modern games (some say no way, some say yes) So I decided I'd give it shot and figured I'd share my results.

Pawn shops are great places to find decent older PC's for good prices, as many of them have been sitting for awhile. After only checking 2 shops I found a HP PC for $60 specs-

Core 2 Quad 8300 2.5Ghz
8 GB DDR3
500GB HD
300W PSU

I paired this with a GTX 750 I got on amazon for $113.00 shipped

So as for BF4, it is very playable on high settings/720p. In conquest maps with 64 players I see an Average fps of 38, low of 32, high of 65.

Yes the processor is a bottleneck as the usage is a lot higher than the GPU, but in the end it is an enjoyable experience.

Richard ecker

Reputable
Sep 15, 2014
Thanks. Yeah Bad Company 2 looks great maxxed out and is really fun. Average FPS on that is in the high 70's. Hopefully this will help someone out who has a older pc and is thinking about upgrading GPU's or someone who is trying to enjoy modern games without throwing down a bunch of cash