Help Needed!! Potentially Failing GPU/PSU?

pshcyo

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
Sorry about the really really long post...

my specs
i5 2400
550w fsp aurum
msi gtx560ti twin frozr
2x4gb ram
asrock h61 u3s3

So recently i upgraded from some crappy old 1680x1050 19" viewsonic monitor (VGA) to a dell u2412 (DVI) about 3 weeks ago. I'm not sure if this upgrade plays a part in my problem or the timing is just a coincidence.

Anyway, shortly after the upgrade, a string of problems cropped up.
1) on the day after i first installed the monitor PC would start up relatively normally, bios loads, windows starts up normally, the moment windows shows "welcome" and is about to display my desktop, the screen goes into standby mode. Audio is still present and everything else sounds like it was running normally. Tried to reinstall and update to latest drivers 340.xx on safe mode, did not help. This problem went away on its own after about 2 days.

2) Similar problem came back again about a week, except at the "welcome" menu, after the screen blacks out, the display comes back about 5 seconds later with the notification "nvidia kernel driver stopped working etc..." The PC would then continue working as per normal for the next 3 mins, then would black out for 5 secs and display the same error. This black out process will then continue to repeat itself in shorter intervals, from 1 min to 30 seconds to 10 seconds, until the PC restarts on its own. After which the cycle repeats. When this happens, i will keep restarting the PC until somehow the problem stops occuring. (approx 5-10 restarts) This persisted for about a week.

3) starting a week ago, problem (2) occurred less frequently. however, whenever problem (2) didnt occur, when i start dota 2 up shortly after boot, the game would run for about 3 mins, then the screen would black out for 5 secs, nvidia notification would appear. Cycle would repeat itself if i tried starting up dota again. Other tasks done on the pc (watching movies, surfing the net) would not cause this issue. Whenever this problem occurred, multiple restarts (1-5) would eventually solve the problem.

4) Starting today, i cleaned the dust off the fans on my GPU/CPU to see if this would help with dealing with all earlier problems. immediately after cleaning, the PC would boot up, but with completely no display, not even bios. I tried switching the output from the DVI slot on the GPU to the DVI slot on the motherboard but to no avail. Subsequently i switched to a monitor with a VGA cable and plugged it into the VGA output on the mobo, still no display. Upon switching back to the original monitor, with the DVI attached to the GPU's output, my monitor somehow started to display images again. I then started up dota 2 on the PC, and everything was running fine until about 25mins into a game, in which a the monitor suddenly displayed a mostly white screen with some a weird black border on top and below, with the transition between the black border and general whiteness being jagged and blocky. Dota was able to restart fine, problem happened twice more at about 10 min intervals. subsequently i stopped playing dota and did some photo editing on adobe photoshop. Everything was fine but when i turned up a certain setting to tune the highlights/shadows to the maximum, (i forgot the exact setting) the pc suddenly blacked out for 5, usual nvidia notification appeared again, photoshop application kinda crashed, with the notification. "the nvidia opengl driver detected a problem with the display driver and is unable to continue. the application must close. error code: 3". I then decided the start writing this post. just as i was writing the previous sentence, i noticed photoshop was still open in my taskbar, and i maximising it with the intention of closing it. Upon maximising, i found the same notification "the nvidia opengl driver detected a problem with the display driver and is unable to continue. the application must close. error code: 3" being displayed again.

this happened on hour since the post. was just surfing the net in the time between the last post and this. PC suddenly froze up, then monitor blacked out. LED lights on keyboard went out, mouse led went out shortly after. PC was still humming, information light thingies on casing still lit, but upon pressing the on/off button pc turned off promptly (in contrast to having to press and hold to force shut down or pressing once and waiting for the shutdown sequence)

anyone has any solutions, or is my GPU or even the PSU simply busted?

again, sorry for the long post!