Netflix has expanded to 6 new countries today.

NetBliss

Reputable
Sep 15, 2014
Hi all,

Netflix has just launched in France, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Luxembourg and Austria . Netflix said it will spend $3 billion to produce unique European contents.

Have you checked the new regions yet? Did you find any unique movie/show?

I tried Netflix earlier this year. I found the interface to be clunky and hard to use, and in 4 months time I never found a single show that I cared to watch. So for me, even at $8 a month, it wasn't worth it. Cancelled it. Not saying its all Netfix fault, as I find a large percentage of movies and shows these days to be complete crap and I simply cannot stand to watch them.

gropouce

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
Really ? Netflix in France ? good luck with that.
I guess the unique content will concern only european movies/shows. The kind of content us citizens don't care about.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador

U.S. residents wouldn't have access to those shows. Netflix content varies by region. Most of us Americans are notoriously not receptive to any kind of movie or show that requires the reading of subtitles anyway. The world does not revolve around the United States, despite what we sometimes believe :)

NetBliss

Reputable
Sep 15, 2014

I made a quick search yesterday and found all 3 seasons of Deadwood and the 5 seasons of The Big Bang Theory available on Netflix France. Those series are not available on American Netflix and I guess that there will more unique content available in the new regions of Netflix.

gropouce

Distinguished
May 1, 2011

But i think it's actually too bad ! With something like Netflix, you could have access to some good foreigners movies and maybe change you're non-english-spoken-movies allergy... (^∨^)

@Netbliss: in what you just said, i'm more surprised by the non-presence of those shows on Netflix US than by their presence on Netflix France. Strange.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Oh, don't get me wrong! I love foreign films. I think it's great as an exchange of culture, for broadening one's horizons, and a lot of them are just simply fantastic films. I am especially a fan of Japanese animation, which is leaps and bounds ahead of anything Americans have put out. Miyazaki's brilliance puts most Disney movies to shame. My point though, was that in general, most Americans don't have the proper appreciation for it.

There's a reason why foreign films almost never see a box office release stateside, and when they do, it's usually with a terrible dub. On the other hand, American films frequently make it to other countries with the original audio with the addition of subtitles. Part of it is because of the influence of Hollywood, and the higher budgets these films have to work with, but I think people from other countries are just more open and receptive to the idea of other cultures, other customs, and other ethnic peoples in film.

gropouce

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
Hehe ! Don't think it's different in the rest of the world !
Actually, most of our movies/shows comes from US or from France. We sure have a few english, italian, german shows, but not that much.
In here, and thanks to you (or because of you), we have (i don't know how to say that) actors for dubbed voices, and it's a kind of big business. They are pretty anonymous, but we all know their voices.

Sometimes, it's disturbing... "ow, check this, the guy who made the voice of Downey Jr in this movie is the same guy for the voice of Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible".... you know what i mean ?...

This is tolerable for movies, but for TV shows, sometimes it's impossible.
One example is for "The Big Bang Theory".
French voices are awful for this show, they are all talking with children voices.
So the original is way funnier than french dubbed version.
That's why many of us watch TV shows in your language....

Concerning the low importation rate of movies/shows in US, do you think it's another cultural thing?
I mean. One of my favorite french TV shows talks about Brittany (the old real Brittany... before the invasion of Angles and Saxons), Lancelot du Lac, Kingdom of Logre, Hadrien's wall etc... do you think american people could be interested in this ?
it's a history-comedy, but without any cow-boy, native american or minutemen :3
Knights of the Round Table only. And i remember a french movie director saying american people doesn't feel involved in this.
What do you think ?

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
I can see that being true. There's definitely a segment of the population who enjoy medieval style shows, but I'd say the overwhelming majority do not. There's a lot of gung-ho patriotism in the States, particularly in certain areas like the south. They would definitely be the ones who don't feel involved with the cowboys and Native Americans and such.

It's understandable to a degree; part of it is the culture, which has often been along the lines of "Yeah, 'Murica, we're #1!!", and that's gone into overdrive ever since 9/11. Part of it is also the education system in certain states. For example, I believe there are a few southern states that prohibit the teaching of the evolutionary theory or at least stifle it in favor of creationism. That may not be the case anymore, I'm not sure, but there was a lot of controversy over that not too long ago. Even the history lessons are skewed in some southern states (I remember some Texas schools making the news over this some time ago), with their textbooks often being very pro-American and U.S.-centered and not providing unbiased facts.

i for one do enjoy some foreign shows...

-david attenborough's documentarys filmed by the bbc are top notch and blow away anything else in the world. the bbc puts out some really nice documentaries in general as well.
-i'm also a rather big fan of japanimation (both subbed and dubbed)
-foreign films like ip-man (hk), the emerald forest (uk), shinobi (jp) and the company of wolves (uk) were all good watches amongst various others that i've watched over the years.

i watch regular foreign movies subbed (since the voices never match the lips many times) but normally prefer my japanimation dubbed since there are great US voice actors who sometimes are even better than the originals. however typically i watch 50/50 dub/sub as it dosent really matter much to me if its a good story.

as for our country being non-receptive to foreign video... that can be both a yes and no. some foreign movies and shows do end up as huge hits here in the states while most of them never make it over here at all. the trouble is that many people do not like reading subtitles and the voice dubbing on regular movies often is so bad it doesnt do a film justice. personally as long as the story is very good (and it fits in with the genres i watch) i'll watch it. finding the names of titles to watch can be rather difficult though.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Ip-man was brilliant. Donnie Yen was fantastic in that role. I have the luxury of being Chinese and speaking Cantonese, so I was able to really enjoy the movie. A lot of Chinese films and series are actually really good, but they largely get overlooked because so much is lost in translation. There are just so many phrases, idioms, and jokes that are amazing in Cantonese/Mandarin, but sound ridiculous when translated because the cultural touch is lost.

I agree that some dubbed anime are on par with or better than the original Japanese voice acting, but I'd argue that that's a fairly recent development. English-speaking voice acting talent was usually mediocre at best until around the mid-2000's. They just never seemed to be able to pull off children's and teens' voices well; always came out as super squeaky and whiny. Maybe the Japanese versions get a similar reaction in Japan, but to my non-Japanese ears, it always sounded much more believable.

Since BBC was mentioned, I'm actually a fan of many of the TV series they put out. Never really took a look at their documentaries, but series like Doctor Who and Merlin were very enjoyable for me. It's been a struggle trying to avoid spoilers for the current season of Doctor Who (I like to binge watch shows as opposed to following it weekly). E4 series like Misfits and Inbetweeners are also favorites of mine. Them Brits put out some quality material!

@tit

to be honest most of the good voice actors came along when funimation became big. their voice actors are absolutely top notch. everyone else..... its rather hit or miss. earlier than 2000... dont even bother since its all bad.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Yeah, I noticed that they handled a lot of the major title dubs these days. That's good, I hope they continue to discover and bring up good voice actors. It will help the genre spread and hopefully we'll begin to see more quality, homegrown series. Avatar: The Last Airbender and Avatar: The Legend of Korra are spectacular shows, and possibly the first time I've seen American and Japanese animation/storytelling styles work so well together.

Starbright

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014
I tested the german catalogue with a VPN (I speak german too) and I was a bit disappointed. Content is comparably weak but I am still appreciating that Netflix is taking the step to expand to all these countries. And I hope that in each country they will start their own shows in foreign language. I think this can be a good thing to get a new view on things and expand your sense for different cultures.

wafflecakes

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012

If you install a browser plugin such as Hola Unblocker (it's free! and it works really well!), you can pretty much get access to almost any region you want for Netflix. I get the feeling that Netflix purposely allows people use these plugins to allow access to content in different countries because a simple way to preventing this would be to keep accounts locked into certain regions. However, that is not the case since I can use the Netflix account I made here in the USA to watch Netflix from another country via Hola Unblocker or just any VPN in general.

As for the subtitles, I would beg to differ. I would bet that there is a very large portion of Americans who watch anime. Of course it won't be something crazy like 40-50%, but it's still tens of millions of Americans watching English subtitled anime.

gropouce

Distinguished
May 1, 2011

I don't know 'bout other countries, but it doesn't seems to have that much success in France.
I read they're planning to invest in "local made" shows. Might be a good news for users, since the content seems so low here.

(is "low" the good word here?...)