How do I limit the bandwidth usage from cousin's iPad?

brianvi

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014
I'm wondering if there are any methods I can use to limit the bandwidth that my cousins iPad uses. When I play online games or even research on google for homework, everything is extremely slow. It's an extremely frustrating thing to deal with, and I've read about the usage of QoS to set priorities for devices. I'm not sure if my router supports this feature, but it's a NETGEAR RangeMax WPN824v2. Also, due to certain circumstances, I can't use an ethernet cable :/ anything to limit how much bandwidth they take up while watching videos would be greatly appreciated.

tl;dr - I want to be able to play with a stable <200 ping and actually be able to do a google search that doesnt take 10 seconds to load the page, so please tell me the methods to prevent their video watching from crippling my internet.

You need one that can limit DOWNLOAD rates to a fixed amount. This router does not even have a basic QoS. Part of your issue may be that it is only 802.11g which does not share bandwidth as well as 802.11n. Likely the only way to fix this is to buy a more modern router that has good QoS. It still is not a simple QoS configuration.