First Computer Build (Gaming)

theAspiringPCGamer

Reputable
Aug 12, 2014
I have finally.. after so much waiting.. ordered my complete list of PC parts, and will be shipped soon. I was thinking about how excited I am going to be with my newly earned PC, and I have recently been struck with the concern that something might go wrong. Even though I am having a friend come over and help me build it (he is a seasoned PC builder), I would like to know any advice or experience that you would like to share to prevent me from messing of very expensive components or wasting large amounts of time. Basically anything you would have wanted to know when you built your first PC. Any advice and experience is much appreciated. Thanks, as always.

Solution
Three things.

1. Read through the motherboard manual, about three times, completely, before you start putting anything together. Get very familiar with it so there won't be any surprises.

2. If you're using an aftermarket tower CPU cooler, install it on the motherboard BEFORE you install the motherboard in the case. Just easier.

3. Read the manual again. Concentrate on connections, especially the front panel connectors. The case manual too.

4. Do NOT use more than a rice sized dab of thermal paste on the cpu, no matter what you've read or what anybody tells you. Pea sized dab is too much and was generally the recommended amount in the past but the CPU sizes were larger then too. Rice sized dab. Dead center. The type really doesn't...
Three things.

1. Read through the motherboard manual, about three times, completely, before you start putting anything together. Get very familiar with it so there won't be any surprises.

2. If you're using an aftermarket tower CPU cooler, install it on the motherboard BEFORE you install the motherboard in the case. Just easier.

3. Read the manual again. Concentrate on connections, especially the front panel connectors. The case manual too.

4. Do NOT use more than a rice sized dab of thermal paste on the cpu, no matter what you've read or what anybody tells you. Pea sized dab is too much and was generally the recommended amount in the past but the CPU sizes were larger then too. Rice sized dab. Dead center. The type really doesn't matter. Testing has confirmed even mayonnaise works when applied in the right amount. Don't use mayonnaise though. Heh.

5. Don't use a cheap power supply. Use a quality PSU that's Tier 3 or higher, preferably Tier 2b or higher on this list:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html

If the PSU you ordered is on Tier 4 or 5 return it immediately and get a quality unit. It's the most important component in the system and the only component that can take out every single other component if it fails. If the unit you ordered is NOT anywhere on that list, let me know the brand and model number and I'll get the dirt on it for you.

6. Install all your fans on controllable headers. Some motherboard fan headers can control speeds, some can't. Uncontrolled headers lead to extremely loud units with fans running full speed all the time. A little reading and some googling will tell you which ones are and are not, if any. If you have to buy Y splitters to run all fans on headers that are pulse width managed or at least voltage managed, do so.

7. After everything is assembled, double check every single cable and connector to make sure it's in the right spot according to the case and motherboard manuals. Make sure the switch on the PSU itself is in the off position and then connect your peripherals followed by the power cord to the PSU from the wall. Then switch the PSU back to the on position.

8. Have fun. Ok, that was eight, not three. If I said eight it would have seemed like too much reading and you would never have made it to the end. Heh.

You might also want to read this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-your-own-pc,2601-10.html

Solution