Win 8 Hybrid Shutdown Effects on SSD Reliability

Avi Bis

Reputable
May 29, 2014
I am currently on Windows 7, with the OS and Games partitions on Samsung 840 EVO. I am considering migrating to Win 8.1. I was reading up on it, and one of the Win 8 features, hybrid shutdown and consequent ultra fast boot intrigued me. Doesn't it affect SSD reliability the same way hibernating does?

Alpha3031

Honorable
Neither affects SSD "reliability". They just make the SSD have more writes, but nothing significant, especially with a samsung EVO (lasts until 900 TB written last time I checked).

The Samsung 840 and 840 EVO are outliers (not in a good way). They use Samsung's cheap TLC (3-bit MLC) NAND Flash which is slow and has very poor endurance. Most other SSDs use 2-bit MLC which is much more reliable and lasts many times longer.

Hybrid shutdown will have a negligible impact on the lifespan of an SSD.

it depends on what you mean by fail.
the low write endurance means the a entire block can fail if you write a single bit to 1000 time. Then the bit can fail and the entire block is marked as bad. The drive then copies the data from that block to a new block and updates a table and you can write to the new block until it fails. It repeats this until all the free blocks are used up and the drive fails.

The firmware will start by using any reserved blocks, when those are used up it will then use any other free blocks it can get. so the life of the drive will depend on the amount of unused space on the drive.

The 840 gets away with it because it has a massive amount of reserve space. I've seen endurance tests which have it spitting out uncorrectable errors after only 300 TB

Alpha3031

Honorable
Fail as in run out of over-provisioning, which the EVO has heaps of. Still, maintaining up-to-date programs will probably make the SSD log more writes than fast boot or hibernate.