a8-6410 or i3-4010u

usmanrana

Reputable
Sep 15, 2014
Hey I am looking to buy a laptop that I will be using for lots of browsing, photoshop, google earth, Autocad but nearly no gaming at all. I have shortlisted two models both similarly priced at 400 euros

1) Lenovo G50-45 AMD A8-6410, 8GB ram (possibly DDR3l-1866??? if yes, does it make a difference???), 1TB hard drive, Radeon R5 M230 1GB GPU.

2) Lenovo G50-70 Intel i3-4010u, 4GB ram, 500GB hard drive, Radeon R5 M230 2GB GPU

Whichever I am going to buy I will be instantly upgrading to samsung 840 SSD. As this is my home laptop, I am not hugely concerned about the battery life even if there is a difference although both processors operate at 15W TDP.

Please suggest which setup represent a better value for money.

Thanks

Proofy

Admirable
Since you will be upgrading to SSD 1866MHz RAM is not needed :)

Then I'd rather pick laptop with 1GB more VRAM GPU than 1866MHz RAM and also AMD cpu in laptops are terrible because they are soooo hot.

I'd recommend you to try to find i3 3110M with the same specs as 4010u and buy that one instead... otherwise go with second choice (Lenovo G50-70)

A8-6410 and i3-4010u are the same, like shoulder to shoulder but intel has better temps... and 3110M is almost twice better than those cpus so...

usmanrana

Reputable
Sep 15, 2014
Thanks Proofy. I have also been reading about temperature issues with AMDs but dont know if this problem is associated with laptop processors too. I wonder if it is still possible that a latest and modern amd notebook cpu with same power consumption as intel's ulv range be running considerably hotter than the intel? if thats the case then intel will be my first and foremost choice because I dont want to have my laps roasted. I do notice that a8 has max operating temp of around 72 degrees as compared to 100 degrees on the i3 but does it mean that a8 runs hotter???

Proofy

Admirable
most of the intel processors have higher cpu max temperature than amd ones. However most of amd processors get hot more quickly than intels processors.
A8-6410 processor is somewhat faster and has higher base frequency and higher GPU clock speed but you have 1GB vram more in graphic card of the intels build so...

Also yes Intel has bigger maximum operating temperature which is good and yet again it will run cooler than AMD processor. If AMD reaches 70C you should be really worrying, however if that happens with intel no need to worry since you max temp is 100 :) I'd go with intel personally because it will last longer however if you want better raw speed go with AMD.

Also look into that 3110M model from intel if you can find it for a good price