PSU Requirements ! Help

phatjzx

Reputable
Sep 16, 2014
Hi guys ,

Have a friend who has an old machine and is stumped on why its runs like [edited by mod for language] on certain stuff like eg: League of legends on new clean install fps srtuggles over 60fps-170 and then pc freezes when its on very hight settings had a look at league of legends requirements and his pc surley passes it all - so

iv done all the stuff possible - Fresh install made sure not driver issue rarrara -

His Setup is

PALIT GTX 275 double Connection requirement 2x 4pin connectors
I7-920 1366 2.67GHZ
ASUS P6T X58
6GM RAM PC 1033 DDR3 3X2GB
USB 3.0 Expansion pcie 4 port
Total of 7 Usb Connected at all Times - flash drives - Mouse keyboard - headset etc..
Bigger Cpu Fan nothing fancy
1 SSD , 120GB Kingston
2 x 2TB WD Green SATA 3 i think
Current Psu , Thermaltake Litepower 700w
Os Win 8.1 x64

and Yep thoes are the specs - now i was thinking if its not software issue possible - ? PSU issue or maybe gfx card it self -

What PSU Rating should it have , or would be consumed -

What else could i look at in terms of game freezing on low end games -

You might want to get rid of the Thermaltake PSU. They are among the worst well known brand on the market for PSUs. While that Litepower is a Tier 3 PSU, which isn't that great to start with and tier 3 units are not recommended for gaming or overclocking, many of their models are on the replace immediately tier. They have a few good models that are higher tiered but that's not one of them. It might not be a problem with the PSU per se, but it certainly isn't helping that it's not a real good unit.

Also, that GPU is a rather low end card, pretty much equal to the R7 250. It should be capable of playing many titles at lower settings but depending on your resolution settings and what settings your gaming on, 60+ fps might be pushing the card too hard, especially with a borderline PSU.