About i7-2600 with h61 chipset motherboard...

yezster

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Greetings Tomshardware community.

I just wanted to take your opinions about this. I currently have an a6-3500 apu running on f1 a55 motherboard with 8gb ddr3-1600 ram and recently procured a r7-250 graphics card, hoping that the videocard kicks my games up a bit. I wanted to start replaying my previous playstation 2 games, emulating them on my PC using pcxs2 emulator; It was way too slow when I don't have the r7-250; but unfortunately after putting the r7-250 it was still a bit slower than normal and I'm a kind of prostrated by this. I bought the r7-250 because I was planning to jump into the kavari dual graphics bandwagon, but I realized not to get too fixated on marketing hypes, so I started looking for other options and do some research. By the way I never used an Intel processor since 486dx4, I have had experience using the Athlon, then Athlon x2 (manchester core), now I run the AMD APU (a6-3500). I was hoping to upgrade my next option to either a kavari apu or the fx-6300 or fx-8320 if I have enough money; but buying an entirely brand new mobo and amd cpu costs me at least $225+ for (fx-6300+mobo) or $280+(fx-8320+mobo) or $280+(a10-7850K+mobo).

Then I was able to come up with a person trying sell his used i7-2600+h61 mobo for $185+.

Now I'm in a dilemma, should I save up and go the AMD route? or should I try the Intel route. I know i7-2600 is a 3-4 year old processor but I read a lot of good things about it, I've been seeing the passmark scores of processors and i7-2600 is rated somewhere at the mid to top range. Practically I cannot buy the latest intel I5s or I7s, they're too expensive for my budget (and this is why I don't go Intel in the first place). This i7-2600 he selling me is priced at the i3 level processors.

I used the computer for casual gaming, emulator gaming, audio-video encoding-reencoding, Internet web browsing, watching streaming videos, BOINC distributed computing, and the like. The computer is usually ON for 8 to 12 hours a day at the most.

Please give me a bit of a hint. I'm willing to go both ways. But for now I feel like I wanted to go the Intel way and try it out.

Thank you guys in advance and forgive my english... :(