Should I consider an upgrade? If yes which one should I go with ?

At 1920 X 1080 resolution, what would be my best option to go with for playing almost any games at

• Stay with GTX 770 2 GB OC Edition

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • GTX 770 2 GB SLI

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • GTX 780 (not ti, budget already stretched as it is )

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Atulkmr1

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014
Okay my current rig is this CPU:AMD FX 8350
GPU:MSI GTX 770 (2GB) OC edition
RAM : G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 16 GB (2 x 8 GB)
Chipset : Gigabyte GA-FX990A

I didn't really need liquid cooling for a single GPU so I didn't get it at that time.

Anyways, so I was playing watchdogs yesterday and I observe very small lags when driving at high speed or even when I roam around when the game just starts.
I am planning to change my CPU to intel i7, not sure which exact model at the time, the better one for gaming (open for suggestions), do I need to upgrade my graphics card too for gaming at 1920 X 1080p ? If yes, what would be the better option to replace it with a GTX 780 or to sli another GTX 770 ? I've read that SLI might cause a lot of troubles too in some cases, could anyone explain (tutorial for dummies style).

PLEASE VOTE EVEN IF YOU REPLY Thanks :)

Thaisnang

Honorable

Even a 780 cannot run watchdogs smoothly. It is not the problem with the GPU its with the optimization.

Atulkmr1

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014

Yes! I read that, but I'm just asking for all games in general ? My VRAM is 2GB and Watch_Dogs Ultra settings need 3 GB, I hadn't come across that until now but again I hadn't had enough time to play many games until now. All I knew was that you need VRAM above 4GB if you're using multi monitor setup, but well this Watch_Dogs thingy shattered that belief :??:

oxiide

Distinguished

Watch Dogs is bizarre and a bit of a trainwreck in terms of optimization. I would personally not advise spending hundreds of dollars just for that. The vast majority of games will not use more than 2 GB at 1080p, and the ones that do generally won't benefit enormously from it.

If you decide to go ahead with an upgrade, avoid the GTX 780. Its very poorly priced today, especially compared to the Radeon R9 290. Nvidia is apparently going to target the 780 for replacement with the new 900-series coming out soon. We'll have to see if its replacement will be worth its cost, but at the least it may force some price drops.

Atulkmr1

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014
So, I'm not having very high hopes but my GPU should still be good for 6 months or more for 90% games, right ?

Embra

Distinguished
I would just wait. You are fine at 1080p.

With your budget, I would not upgrade one tier.... just not worth it.
A 290 would be the best bargain, but I would still wait.

Atulkmr1

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014

Yes price to performance ratio if higher for AMD but well speaking in terms of pure performance Nvidia is way ahead.
This is coming from my experience with R9 270X 4 GB. Plus I am not really considering the upgrade until the 900 series hits the market as oxiide suggested.

Thaisnang

Honorable

U have multi monitor setup? I see no other reason why would someone buy the 4GB version.

oxiide

Distinguished

Realistically I'd expect a few years out of a GTX 770 at 1080p. There may come a day where you need to start turning down details in games, but I'm thinking a level of two of AA.

How is Nvidia "way ahead" in pure performance? Nvidia is judged on the same price/performance scale that AMD is. If a Nvidia card performs better, you pay more for it. The R9 270X you mentioned is right where it should be: slower than the more expensive GTX 760, faster than the 660's (granted that 4 GB of VRAM throws a wrench into that).