Benefits of Windows 7 over 8?

Eric92

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2014
I'm building a gaming PC and have experience using 7 and 8. I enjoy both pretty well and I'm not really bothered by the touchscreen focus on 8.

I am wondering however if there are any reasons for choosing 7 over 8 or 8 over 7 that are not just down to personal preference. Technical or performance reasons. Thanks in advance for any tips!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Technically, Win8 has a small edge in gaming performance over Win7. You can't see it in real game play, but it's there.
Both are very stable OSs. Win8 has almost been reverted back to Win7 operating mode. Most of its "improvements" have been given the option to revert to legacy mode operation for us old folks that don't like our PCs to look like our phones.

The only difference I have noticed using them both is that win 8 are for people who like to have an os that is similar to the windows phone. The performance gain is very little and you won't notice it while playing games or even doing normal things like surfing the web.

Win 7 is for people who like to have the regular start menu although in win 8 you can get an program that does this if you pay for it.

Other than that they are pretty much the same.

There are none that aren't purely matters of personal preference. Internally, Windows 8 is a huge technical improvement over Windows 7. Unfortunately, the UI changes get all the press.

Eric92

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2014

Are the technical improvements large enough that I would notice them in daily use and some gaming?

Not that I know of

It depends on the game and level of support from the graphics card vendor.

Windows 7 supports DirectX 11.0 and WDDM 1.1

Windows 8 supports DirectX 11.1 and WDDM 1.2

Windows 8.1 supports DirectX 11.2 and WDDM 1.3

Newer revisions of each have improved quite a bit of the underlying stuff that gamers usually don't see such as multi-threaded rendering, task queuing, better adapter memory management, etc...