First build under $800

Jarlonghorn

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014
Hey everybody so I just recently acquired an interest for PC gaming and I'm looking into building my first PC.
At the moment I am under a tight budget and I would like to gain some experience putting together my own PC for whenever I want to upgrade or put together and even better system.
What parts would you all recommend for a decent system that stays under $800 or maybe a little over that and that could handle games such as Dayz, battlefield, minecraft, and things of that sort? Thanks in advance to all who can help me out!

Try this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($82.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($82.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($199.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($68.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $793.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-17 21:52 EDT-0400

Solution

Jarlonghorn

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014

Would I be able to upgrade this in the future?

Jarlonghorn

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014

Awesome! Also any way for the ram to be increased?

And what kind of settings would this be able to handle in like battlefield?

Joeteoh99 has put together a very nice build for you to consider. Do you have an operating system? You will certainly need one.

Yes, you can upgrade that system or any custom built system.

Since you are new to building PCs, I recommend that you watch some build videos on youtube to help you understand the build process. This guy has some great videos for you to learn from http://www.youtube.com/user/CareyHolzman/videos Go check them out.

Good luck to you!

Jarlonghorn

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014

Thanks!!!

Jarlonghorn

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014

Totally overlooked the os.

Thanks!

Other things to consider for your build.

CPU Cooler

Additional Case Fans

Also, not sure if you already own these or not, but you will also need a keyboard, mouse and monitor. Yep, that's more money to spend. :p

Remember to watch some build vids to understand the building process.

Good luck, bud!

Jarlonghorn

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014

Do you have any examples of builds where everything is included that could possibly still fall into my budget? (monitor, keyboard, and mice don't need to be included) Or is that just not possible?

That CPU listed in Joe's build above will come with a stock CPU cooler and probably be fine, but most everyone will still recommend you get a "better" cooler. Try it at first and see how it goes with the stock cooler. If you find your temps getting a little on the high side, then you'd want to invest in another cooler. You can buy what many consider to be, one of the best coolers available for around $35 US dollars, the Hyper 212 EVO. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

Additional case fans will also help in keeping the temps down in your system. The Hyper 212 EVO cooler and 3 to 5 extra case fans can be added to the build Joe provided. You should be able to get all of these (cooler and case fans) for less than $70 extra, depending on what case fans you want to buy of course. Maybe someone that owns the 300r, assuming you're going to get that case, will come on here and recommend you some fans for it.