Computer crashing. screen turns black/white, fans and mobo light still on.

stacker1

Reputable
Sep 18, 2014
I just built my new computer about 2 months ago and just this last week i have been having problems with it. After anywhere from 5 minutes to a couple of hours of use the screen will go black, white, or black with white vertical lines going down the screen. My fans are all still running normally and the power switch on my mobo is lit up. My keyboard and mouse are unresponsive to any commands, (caps lock, num lock, ext..). Also when unplug the mouse and keyboard and then plug them back it they no longer light up. I messed around with OC'ing for a couple of days about a month ago. I never changed the voltage though. My best guess is that the GPU or the motherboard is faulty.

Here is a link to my build.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PBwC4D

Here is the picture of the screen crashing aswell http://i.imgur.com/PBKz8tB.jpg

all of my attempts to figure out what is wrong have failed.

stacker1

Reputable
Sep 18, 2014

when i had it overclocked the highest temperature i reached was 82c. About 2 days after that it crashed once so i dialed it back to a slight OC no problems for a month. As i said before i didn't adjust the voltage because i didn't want to risk damaging my computer. As of now its at its default settings.
default is 1550mhz memory/ 1080mhz core.
i had it at 1600mhz memory/ 1100mhz core

Would that be enough to damage the card? I think the highest i increased to mem and core clock to was around 1650/1180 but that was only for a few minutes.

I used fumark, heaven bench mark, and the benchmark in msi afterburner to stress test it.

stacker1

Reputable
Sep 18, 2014

Currently it is at its default of 1.2mv. Why do you think increasing the voltage would solve the problem?

iamlegend

Admirable
Because your default voltage was designed for the default settings (default clocks) and since you have OC`ed by increasing the core clock and mem clock then that would correspond to an increase in power consumption. Since you increased the clocks in small increment then it will correspond for small bump in voltage (not all case) but just try it. Let`s say 1.210 and stress test again.

stacker1

Reputable
Sep 18, 2014

I plan to have it run at default settings 1550mhz/1080mhz until i figure out what the problem is. Next time i overclock ill be sure to increase the voltage slightly as you have recommended