Help buying Ultra wide 21:9 Monitor vs standard 1080p

druppes

Honorable
Sep 7, 2014
Hi, I need some help and advice buying a new monitor, I know virtually nothing about monitors and am looking for something special.

In Short:

I want to buy a new monitor and I am undecided between Lg's 21:9 aspect ratio monitors. The new 34UC97 and the other two 34UM95, 34UM65-P.

I Detail:

I have recently built a new desktop in the Btfenix prodigy M case. Its a duel boot mackintosh/windows with a GPU/CPU water loop running of two separate SSds.

I used to have a three monitor Eyefinity setup with a huge full tower setup and got so fed up with the size so I'm looking for a single monitor that can get somewhere close to a multiple monitor setup.

I use my pc for 50/50 gaming and video editing. I guess I care more about gaming quality as video editing is going to pretty awesome on any large screen.

I'm not too fussed about price I guess my budget is £1000 and would obviously love a cheap monitor but I'm more concerned with getting something really nice.

I am keen on the 21:9 monitors however I can't find anywhere in London that has them in stock, I managed to find the 29 inch version that I thought was a bit small so really i'm looking at these two options. 34UM65-P, 34UM95.

There is also the new 34UC97 thats curved, However its not out yet and might be silly expensive anyone know anything about it?

My questions are; Is the higher res of 3440 x 1440 a lot nicer than 2560 x 1080?
Will it run smoothly in a GTX 780? Should consider SLI?

Do you think the resolution change between the monitors is worth £300? Is there any other differences like quality of image etc?

Anyone know if I might have some problems with hackintosh and these monitors?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I'm so torn between the two I really love the higher resolution but its much more expensive for that one change as I don't benefit from the thunderbolt ports that must be taking up a lot of the price difference.

Thanks for any responses!!
Druppes