Integrated GPU and Discrete GPU have multiple ports - how should I use them (and control when each are used)?

Hacienda

Reputable
Sep 16, 2014
Hi guys,

Both my discrete and integrated GPUs have multiple ports - among others, each has 1 vga port.
My mobo is a ASUS B85 pro gamer, and my graphics card is a nvidia GTX 770.

I have a primary monitor that accepts HMDI, and two secondary VGA monitors. Currently I have my main monitor (HDMI) and another (VGA) plugged into the discrete GPU, and the 3rd (VGA) into the integrated.

I'm not entirely sure how the computer manages gpu usage for these.

1) Are the monitors plugged into the respective gpus, just always using those gpus? If so, is it possible to force one gpu or the other to 'serve' one monitor, or is it tied to the port it's physically plugged in to? (forgive me if that's not how it works at all)

2) Is it possible to tell when the discrete GPU is in use for specific applications (i.e. games)? Not all games are accessible through the nvidia experience (which I'd prefer not to use), and I'd rather not keep the nvidia usage preferences to 'global'.

On my old computer, the nvidia interface allowed me to explicitly choose which gpu to use when selecting the *.exe file for the program, but that functionality doesn't appear on my current rig.

Thanks very much! All answers are greatly appreciated.

Solution
The displays on each monitor is run by the graphic solution it's plugged into. Anything being displayed on the monitor connected to the on-board graphics is controlled by the on-board graphics. Anything display on the monitors connected to the GTX770 is controlled by the GTX770.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
The displays on each monitor is run by the graphic solution it's plugged into. Anything being displayed on the monitor connected to the on-board graphics is controlled by the on-board graphics. Anything display on the monitors connected to the GTX770 is controlled by the GTX770.

-Wolf sends

Solution

beni_rohit

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2014
you are wasting your gpu power
get a good monitor
144hz preferably if not atleast one that has a DVI port
whats the use investing in a good GPU when the monitor you are using cannot display what your GPU is capable of rendering

Hacienda

Reputable
Sep 16, 2014
Hello,

Thanks for your replies, it has helped clarify how they work and informed my monitor setup.

In reply to the latter, my primary monitor is a ASUS VG248QE (24" 144hz) connected to my gtx770 with a HDMI, my secondary monitors are old monitors I use to for browsers, multiple documents for work &c. However, thank you for reply in any case.

beni_rohit

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2014

even if its a 144hz monitor
its restricted to 60hz on HDMI
only DVI and Displayport can do 144Hz
use either