mini display port to dvi resolution support

Brad Chambers

Reputable
Sep 18, 2014
newbie to this forum but i always tend to look here first when searching for answers, so here is my situation.

i have a gigabyte r9 280x, it has 1x hdmi, 1x dvi and 2x mini display ports.

i already have a 32" tv hooked up for media and an old 17" through the dvi (i know). im looking to buy two of these monitors here and since they only support a single dvi connection i started looking around for cables and adapters to get from the mini display ports to the dvi. now for the questions i couldnt quite piece together myself regarding display port versions and such. i have tried looking but it seemed that different places gave me different answers

1) will a mini display port to dual link dvi cable support the 2560x1440 resolution on this? and if so can someone link me to a suitable cable?

i can hook one of the new monitors up to the dvi but the other will have to go through a mini display port so i have to be sure it will be supported. i can if pushed grab another card for the second dvi support but i would like to try and avoid this if at all possible since i would have to upgrade my power supply as well and it would get a bit costly. thanks in advance for managing to read through my terribly written question :)

Brad Chambers

Reputable
Sep 18, 2014

unfortunately that is the full size display port, i need the mini display port :(

4745454b

Titan
Crap, figured it wasn't that easy. So the problem is when you are looking at mDP adapters you still need dual link on the other end. Single link only goes up to 1080/1200, so you need DL to hit 1440+. But those are expensive when you look at the mDP adapters. (And they seem to need to be USB powered as well.) But they are expensive as well.

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-MDP2DVID-DisplayPort-Dual-Link-Powered/dp/B004I6L6DW

Considering the cost you might want to look to a monitor that supports DP/mDP natively.

Brad Chambers

Reputable
Sep 18, 2014

i was afraid of this answer. it seems i will need to scour the market again for some different monitors, thanks for the help with this, much appreciated!

Brad Chambers

Reputable
Sep 18, 2014

so the way im understanding this is... i could use a mini to full (which wouldnt drop resolution) then a full display port to DVI dual (which also shouldnt drop the res)?

i did have a look at several other 2560x1440 monitors but they are far outside my price range. i might have to just settle for the one monitor for now. im not too fond of using adapter upon adapter and dont know much about them either. again, thanks for the help.