Which flight stick/HOTAS should I get?

Aidy

Reputable
Sep 18, 2014
Hey,

I've been looking to upgrade my peripherals for a while to go with my nice new rig. I've pretty much got everything (bar a few extra ones, such as TrackIR) apart from a new joystick. I've been using the lovely old Sidewinder from Microsoft, it's ancient now and the lack of axes are starting to have an effect - especially now that things like Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen are knocking about.

So long story short, I'm looking for a few recommendations, if possible. Because I'm not used to HOTAS I'm not looking to splash £200 on the TM Warthog or the X-65F in case I prefer using flight sticks with integrated throttles.

I do regularly play simulators like DCS (A-10A and Blackshark, mainly), FSX (my primary flight sim), Star Citizen, Arma 3, and Elite: Dangerous. Lots of recommendations are for either the TM T-Flight HOTAS or the Saitek X52 and I'm quite torn really. If I do get more people telling me to get the X52 then I'll probably buy that, despite it being a bit more pricey.

I know of issues with both (such as X52's weird drivers and constant conflicts with other peripherals) and T-Flight's odd deadzones which only happen to some people, as well as the throttle being quite light.

Thanks in advance!