Crucial MX100 256GB vs Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Which SSD represents best value/performance for me?

• Total voters

Videographer

Reputable
Sep 9, 2014
Hi,

I'm just building a new system based on a Gigabyte Z87 board and an i7 4770 running on windows 7, I have an SSD to carry over from an old build but it is a few years old, it is a Crucial m4 128GB. The system is mainly used for video (after effects included) photoshop and some lower 3d rendering and games (low end)

I was considering upgrading to a newer drive with better performance, and noticed that I could get 256GB drives not only for a reasonable price, but the performance was much better than smaller equivilants.

Orignally I was looking at the 840 Pro and M550 but found the EVO and MX100 which seem to be better value for money; there is just under £10 between the two.

The drive will be used for Boot, Apps and a working project space - once a project is finished its files will go back into storage on a traditional hard drive. I might keep the old m4 as scratch disk space I haven't decided.

Will I see much benefit from one of these newer drives and which of the two is better? I see the Pro/M550 are faster but the price is around 50% more