4770K Turbo Boost and overclocking

Sohaib

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
Hey guys,
I never overclocked my cpu before but this time I picked up a Thermaltake Frio advanced cpu cooler alongside my 4770K hoping someday I may overclock. So I live in India and normal temps here are VERT hot, reaching as high as 48 degree C in summer. Now considering the worst is gone I am thinking of overclocking my cpu.

So I did a little prime test with turbo on and I was stunned to see that all of my cores were using 1.3V voltage @ 3.9 GHz and core temp topped at 63C.(Note I only ran prime95 for like 5 minutes).
I monitored this with ROG Dual Intelligent Processors 4 application, all cores were at 1.3V, so will I be able to squeeze more then 3.9GHz at this voltage or what? Should I go for it, is my setup ready for overclocking? Oh finally my mobo is Asus Maximus VI Hero.

A Vcore of 1.30 v. is the maximum safe voltage that you should use.

How were the OC settings inputted? Did you set the 3.9 clock speed and the 1.30 v. or did you use the ROG software?

3.9 GHz is not really an OC as that is the stock "Turbo" speed of the i7 4770K.

You "may" be able to clock higher, you just don't know until you try as all chips are different.

DO NOT use any version of Prime95 over v.26.6, because the later versions will put an unrealistic load on the CPU causing abnormally high CPU core temps.

Here is a good guide that you can use. Following those recommendations, I was able to OC my rig to 4.6 GHz: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1722630/intel-god-quick-dirty-guide-4ghz-haswell.html

Yogi

Sohaib

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
No I didn't overclock anything, what I was saying is that its the turbo boost thing. With turbo boost under load my i7's normal core clock is increased from 3.5Ghz to 3.9Ghz but the core voltage is set to 1.3V automatically when its under the effect of turbo boost.
So I was asking if auto setting is using 1.3V for 3.9GHz turbo boost is it REALLY possible that I would be able to push the clock even higher with same/lower voltage.