Bearo

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
Hi all,

I'm torn between getting one of the following cards;

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780Ti GHz Edition

or

EVGA GTX 980 SC SuperClocked 4GB

For either of these cards I plan to remove the cooler and add the NZXT G10 (swapping the stock G10 fan for a Noctua 92mm fan, as well as VRM copper heatsinks for some extra cooling), and a Corsair H110 with replacement Noctua NF-F12 PWM 120mm fans for the H110 rad.

Really I'm just after what people feel is the better card. Many early bench marks show the GTX980 edging forward, but there's no real leap forward other than SLi setups. I know that drivers should help with this, but will they drastically improve the GTX980? Will they make it a real contender? The GTX780Ti listed above is a big step up from my current GTX670, so is the GTX980 but does the performance to cost of the GTX980 vs GTX780ti warrant the purchase?

I can afford either really, but I'd like to divert any spare cash into other things if most people think the GTX780ti is still King.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

[strike]the 980 certainly beats the 780 however from what i've heard so far the 780ti edges out ahead of the 980 still. at stock non-oc settings of course.[/strike]
looking into it further it seems we do have some benchmarks released finally such as http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1351?vs=1072 instead of just the rumor mill and supposed specs which puts the 980 ahead of the ti in most applications. for sure.

the one nice thing about the new 9xx gpus are the power savings. less power used also translates to less heat. i've also heard that the 9xx gpus are going to be rather good for overclocking.

on the flip side the 780ti has a non-reference cooler so should be quieter. reference designs often arent as quiet or good at cooling the card and i'd likely wait until non reference designs show up to get more out of the 980 if you went that route.