Core i3 4150 High CPU Temperature

gamermz

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014
Good morning,

I'm wondering if I should be worry about the high CPU temp when running Prime95. When idle, the CPU is anywhere from 29C to 45C. At medium load the CPU gets up to 60C sometime, but never stays there, but it's when I put a full load with Prime95 that I have seen the CPU temp goes up to 86C and it usually hover around 79C and higher. I'm currently using the stock cooler, should I go with a water cool system? This rig is built for my son to game on.

Thank you in advanced.

MSI ITX H81I motherboard
XFX Radeon R9 270X DD 2GB GPU
Seagate 1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive
Core I3-4150 Processor
Rosewill Green Series 530W 80 Plus PSU
Cool Master Elite 130 Case
Patriot Viper 3 8GB Memory

Videographer

Reputable
Sep 9, 2014
No, this is normal, Prime95 is designed to really max out the CPU and no game will work it that hard. You dont need anything other than the stock cooler, especially on a stock speed i3. The CPU is safe up to 80c and it will shut it self off before it burns out anyway

gamermz

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014

Thank you.

geky

Honorable
May 10, 2013
Actually the Tcase is given at 72 degrees celcius by intel. It means that the cpu should not run for extended periods at more than 72C.

I have the same CPU but dont run it with stock cooler so I cannot answer your question fully.

Nevertheless at normal ambient temps in the low twenties and with stock CPU you shouldn't get as high as 79C.
You should be below 72C with stock cooler, as Intel is also the supplier of the cooler they have done all tests necessary to ensure the Tcase temp.

CompuTronix

Intel Master

Guys,

It's not quite so straight forward.

Please read this Tom’s Sticky: Intel Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

Intel desktop processors have thermal sensors for each Core, plus a sensor for the entire processor, so a Dual Core has 3 sensors. Heat originates within the Cores where Digital sensors measure Core temperatures. A single Analog sensor under the Cores measures overall CPU temperature.

Core temperature is 5C higher than CPU temperature due to sensor location. Intel's Thermal Specification is "Tcase", which is CPU temperature, not Core Temperature. Tcase for your i3 4150 is 72C. Tcase + 5 makes the corresponding Core temperature 77C.

The relationship between Core temperature and CPU temperature is not in the Thermal Specifications; it's only found in a few engineering documents. Since Core temperature is the standard for measuring processor temperatures, it's necessary that you take the above information into account. Mid-70's are safe for everyday real-world workloads.

Also, Standard Ambient temperature is 22C, which is the value that Intel's Thermal Specification references.

Concerning Prime95:

Core i 2nd, 3rd and 4th Generation CPU's have AVX (Advanced Vector Extension) instruction sets. Recent versions of Prime95 such as 28.5 run AVX code on the Floating Point Unit (FPU) math coprocessor, which produces unrealistically high temperatures. The FPU test in the software utility AIDA64 shows the same results.

Prime95 v26.6 produces temperatures on 3rd and 4th Generation processors more consistent with 2nd Generation, which also have AVX instructions, but do not suffer from thermal extremes due to having a soldered Integrated Heat Spreader and a 35% larger Die.

Please download Prime95 version 26.6 - http://windows-downloads-center.blogspot.com/2011/04/prime95-266.htm

Run only Small FFT’s for 10 minutes.

Use Real Temp to measure your Core Temperatures: Real Temp - http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2089/real-temp-3-70/

Your Core temperatures will test 10 to 20C lower.

Thanks,

CT :sol:

geky

Honorable
May 10, 2013

Agree to all your remarks.
The initial post was not elaborate on the means of testing and temp reporting, thus I only wanted to point out that his temps are high and he should do something about it rather than accept them as "normal", as videographer suggested.

Cheers, Geky

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Geky,

Thanks, I understand.

Most users aren't aware of the information concerning Intel's Thermal Specification "Tcase", or the differences between "CPU" temperature and "Core" temperature, or that versions of Prime95 later than 26.6 will overheat 22 nanometer processors.

It's important that users become informed so they can better understand their temperatures.

CT :sol: