Computer shuts down when doing harder tasks

DecZsPC

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014
Basically this is quite a long story.

I have been having problems where my computer would shutdown while gaming or rendering. However it has also shutdown when I have turned it back on and then five or ten minutes later it shutdown again and that is without doing anything that would use much ram. This has stopped me playing games in full resolution and on full screen because it occurs more often. However yesterday I disabled an audio driver and then began to play a game on full resolution and full screen and it has not shutdown my computer. So I thought maybe I have fixed it. So I then tried to render something as this uses all my processors and after a while it shutdown. So the problem seems to have lessened but still is a problem which I would like to fix.

I have used GPU Temp to check my GPU Core and my core is around 45-60 degrees while playing a game or rendering. So what could the problem be? If you could post some solutions or answers and even some software to possibly download to help find the problem then that would be great.

At first I thought that the temperature could be getting too hot, then I thought the battery pack is faulty and now I am thinking that is may be something to do with the ram.

DecZsPC

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014
I downloaded CPUID HWMonitor and I tried rendering and my CPU temp got to 118 degrees! It should only be reaching 80 as a limit, is that right? But also it reaches around 90 while playing games but doesn't shutdown?

permanoob

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Sorry it took me so long to come back on this. I normally don't check Tom's on the weekend and I had a three day weekend. Anyway, are we talking 90°c or 90°f? If these numbers are in F then your CPU temps are just fine.

ilxGHxli

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014
I have had this problem, However my @Fix@ may not be relevant but hey every little helps. My issue was the CPU fan plug was not seated properly therefore not getting the sufficient power to cool. I took apart my PC and cleaned every fan and plugged the Cpu fan back in then add a little extra force but not too much to make sure it's seated properly this time. What do you know! It was fine and allowed me to overclock even further then before!