Tropical Fish Keeping

D

Deleted member 217926

I have thought about it a few times. I had a buddy who used to have a fairly large 150 gallon salt water tank with 8 or 10 species in it. I don't really have a good place for a tank and most importantly, wow are they expensive. A tank like that is going to run about $1000 for the tank alone then add pumps and filters and then fish and you are looking at around two grand just to set it up. Then saltwater setups are extremely sensitive and the salinity or PH getting off by just a little or the temperatures going off a few degrees and all your expensive fish are dead.

I love watching them though. Very peaceful. Do you have some?

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I have 2 tanks and 70 gallon and a 20 gallon. Have guppies, Harlequin rasbora and one ID shark. It is a peaceful hobby and enjoyable.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
Fish are a little too boring for my tastes.

Cats. That's where they're at.

But seriously, please do check up on me from time to time.

I could end up chucking cats at people. Like a crazy cat lady.

Just notify the authorities, so they can ply me up with meds so strong, the side effects are way worse than whatever problem they were trying to treat in the first place.

;)

D

Deleted member 217926

But kitties all lead dual lives. Cute and cuddly until you turn your back on them and then :

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnk15Wf6xMU"][/video]

Don't blame me if you had a cute overload watching that. :)

D

Deleted member 217926

The only AC game I've played is AC 4 so I associate the series with pirate shanties. Cute ninja kitties meowing along to pirate shanties FTW! :lol:

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Cats I favour sometimes. Dogs are my favourite

Tropical Fish Keeping = 0
Cats = 3 and taking care of them is quite enough work for me! ( I just love the smell of cat poo in the morning! Not! :pfff: )

By the way, if they could get to them they'd eat the fish anyway!
One loves plastic, one loves aluminum foil, and the other eats wires, the wire eater has been the most expensive cat to keep, as all critical wiring has had to be armor plated, and that is not a joke! :pfff:

However we love them unconditionally! :)

It's a cat lover thing, you either have it or you don't! :)

I have a 100 Litre tank ... two Discuss fish ... the end.

The_PCNewb

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
Well, I've been trying to decide between getting a cat or a fish tank. I've never actually had an indoor pet which is free to roam around, I mean I've had birds which I used to take out of the cages and play with but its not the same if you know what I mean. So I'm definitely leaning towards the cat but there's a lot of things going against it, firstly, my dad(not too fond of cat hair and cat smells) My unconfirmed allergy to cat hair, the financial investment and the further expenses. Because I want to get the expensive Persian breed.
The fish tank is actually easier to get and keep but I'm pretty sure I'll get bored of it in a day.
If I had the space my first choice would be a dog though.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
You will never get bored of a fish tank. It is relaxing and not stressful.Cats I had 3 of them one time. They shed, litter box stinks if not emptied out 2 a day and the shots they need are expensive.Fish are the way to go and not very expensive. Look at crags list in your area for people selling used tanks.Good Luck.

Marv, I've had fish tanks before and cleaning them is mess, maybe not to the point you see it as such, but to me it is a hassle I can easily live without! :pfff:

That's why I own cats! :)

They're smart enough to bury their own feces and urine!

Give a dog a catbox and he'll dig up the crap and eat it! Gross!

Cat poo is like a delicacy to a dog! :pfff:

Or if it is a clean box provided for him or her, they'd try to sleep in it, and then still go poop in the middle of the room!

That's what newspaper is for, right? That way they can read while they're pooping! :lol:

Dog may be so called, mans best friend, but they are not the brightest bulb in the pack of the animal kingdom!