First build parts check on $900 gaming PC

Arenz

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014
So I'm building my first computer for gaming purposes. My target budget is around $800-900 and with that in mind i started looking into parts.

What i found was:
Intel i5-4570 processor
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H motherboard (ATX mounting)
G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB memory (2x4GB)
Western Digital Caviar Blue 3.5" 1TB hard drive
PNY GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB video card
Raidmax ATX-502WBG Mid Tower case
Corsair CX 600W 80+ bronze certified Semi-modular ATX power supply
ASUS BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS blu-ray reader optical drive
Cougar Dual-X 64.4 CFM 120mm Fan (two of these for the top of the case)
Cougar Vortex PWM 70.5 CFM 120mm Fan (one of these for the bottom)
This came out to a total of just about $900

I will also be using my 500GB hard drive from my current computer that has my Windows 7 OS.
Also I'm not planning to overclock my computer so that is not something I'm worried about.
I loaded all these into pcpartpicker and it doesn't show any compatibility issues, so i just wanted to know if there are any problems that wouldn't pick up, or if I'm missing anything. while i did some research on each part before deciding on it is there anything i might have missed? I also want it to have upgrade potential in the next few years, hence why i went for the 600W power supply. Any help would be great.

You will have to reinstall windows as you can't just put a HDD in a new computer.

You have an overclocking motherboard with a locked CPU. Get an h97 board instead.

The PSU is low quality. Switch it for an XFX 550. MUCH better unit.

If this is US dollars, you can do ALOT better gaming performance wise.

terrible advice. WHY on a budget build would you suggest one of the most expensive boards?

That money is WAY better spent on a better GPU instead.

Arenz

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014

That's good to know about the motherboard. My technical know-how is very limited. So from what i saw the H97's have a considerably lower price point, so is there specific ones i should look at for equivalent performance? if not better?

jasonite

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2012
Here's what I would suggest as an even more powerful build. Since you won't be OC'ing you can get a better CPU and the H97 series of mobo's. I also got you a faster HDD and one of the fastest GPU's you can buy! The case is a good one and comes with three fans already installed. Along with a solid PSU you will be in great shape to play modern games. You've even got money left over if you later decide you want more case fans.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($188.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-GAMING 3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($103.66 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX Video Card ($329.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill Challenger-U3 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $878.59
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-20 19:57 EDT-0400

jasonite

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2012
The CX is a perfectly solid PSU and will give you no problems unless you plan on OC'ing. If you decide you do want an even higher-quality PSU try the Antec High Current Gamer 620W for additional money. Up to you.

J

Arenz

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014
Ok awesome, but out of curiosity is there any reason that the case i had wouldn't work? i picked it half because i liked how it looked. so assuming that i pay for more fans any other reason not to?